Need help lowering TA

bkkari

Aug 21, 2014
Central, MN
Hi there,
We just replaced our liner and I’m in the process of balancing our new pool water.
my Initial results:

Cya: 0
FC:0
TA: 240
PH:8
CH: 275
We have well water and spent the first few days filtering out the iron color in our pool using Polyfill. Looks clear now ( was rust when we initially filled the pool a few days ago).y cya. Yesterday we added CYA. This is now at between 50-60.
Today we’ve added MURIATIC ACID to adjust TA and pH. Retested one hour later:
TA 190 and PH 7.2.
I’m turned our jets to face upwards in hopes to aerate,but it doesn’t look like that’s doing too much ( just seeing ripples on the top of the water). I’m hesitant to add any more muriatic acid at this point, but I’m also worried about my TA being so high. Any suggestions on to what I can do?
Also can I go ahead and add bleach now to adjust the chlorine? Or do I need to correct the TA first?

Any suggestions appreciated.

TA is not a critical factor. It will come down over time when you add acid to lower your pH from 8 to 7.2.

Add chlorine now. Maintain the target level FC for your CYA.

If you wish to lower TA so that your pH will rise slower, then follow Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.