Abnaxis

Jun 28, 2021
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I recently had some concrete repair done on my pool. I live in a cold climate and the thing is covered all the time which means crumbling concrete after a few years.

This took longer than anticipated. The weather has just been rain, rain, rain, which wasn't a problem with the concrete itself but they offered (and I accepted) for them to paint over the patches so it's not discolored everywhere.

The problem is, with all the rain we've been having and with all the vacuuming needed for cleanup, a not-insignificant portion of my water got replaced. Unbeknownst to me, this meant my salt got lowered to the point the SWG cut out. I didn't realize it at the time, and three days of no-chlorine-being-generated later I go test and the DPD tube is clear before I even start titrating it.

*sigh*

So now I need a bag of salt, when I haven't ever actually needed to add salt yet so I dunno where the heck I'm going to source it from.

I also need to test the CYA, but I hate that test and I'm profoundly frustrated right now so it can wait until morning.

Once I know the CYA, I'll probably need to rent a tanker truck full of chlorine because it takes (to me, at least, when I'm less frustrated I realize my pool isn't that big) a ton of it to SLAM my pool when it's got enough CYA for the SWG. A SLAM that only needs done because I didn't notice said SWG flipping it's wig because I was trying a new FC test and didn't have time to do a proper DPD test to confirm my wonky test results before now.

I went ahead and dumped a jug of chlorine I had sitting on the shelf on the pool and will find someplace to get my supplies tomorrow. This post is...about 30% me coming in to vent because my kids have been bugging me to let them in the pool for the last week and it's still not read yet, and 70% asking for advice. How quickly can I get the pool safe and ready? We're likely to have inclement weather tomorrow (AGAIN!), so I can probably put them off for another day, but I'm ready to get these kids physically active in the water and learning to swim.

How do you know you need to SLAM? Is there visible algae? If not, do this test...Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

If you fail OCLT, follow this process. Link-->SLAM Process

Your CYA is likely going to be low, if your salt is low. This is a good thing for the SLAM. 30ppm CYA is an easier SLAM than 60 or 70 CYA...so if your CYA is 30, 40 or 50, do not add more CYA before the SLAM.

To test your Salt, you need a salt test kit. Do not add salt until you know your current salt level....you can end up adding too much, then you are into a drain. Link-->TF Salt Bundle or the Taylor K-1766.

Go to HomeDepot and get Diamond Crystals Solar Naturals salt, about $5 a bag.

While you are slamming, it is safe to swim, if you can see the bottom of the deepest part of the pool.

No idea how long a SLAM will take.

We don't have Home Depot. Only Lowe's and Menards.

Any time I've let Chlorine fall out of range and not done a SLAM--even when there's 1 PPM FC when PoolMath says it needs to be between 3 and 10--I regretted it when I had cloudy water 2 days later. There's no algae and the water is crystal clear right now, but my understanding/experience is that not having chlorine in the pool is by itself a reason to SLAM.

I have the salt test kit, though it never agrees with what the SWG says. I'm not just going to add it blind, but at the same time I need to SWG to "know" it has enough salt to function.

The biggest worry I have with swimming while SLAM-ing, is children who are young enough that they're going to accidentally get a few mouthfuls of the water even if they try to avoid it.

We don't have Home Depot. Only Lowe's and Menards.

Menards has the best price on liquid chlorine.

You can also get your salt there:

my understanding/experience is that not having chlorine in the pool is by itself a reason to SLAM.
That is not our recommendation. Print out, and re-read the SLAM process...keep it with you and refer to often. Link-->SLAM Process

From the Link...

When should I SLAM?
If you have ANY of the following:

Visible algae in your pool
CC level above 0.5 ppm
Loss of 1.0 ppm of FC overnight (see overnight chlorine loss test)

That is why I recommended the OCLT. Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

I have the salt test kit, though it never agrees with what the SWG says. I'm not just going to add it blind, but at the same time I need to SWG to "know" it has enough salt to function.
One of the tenants of TFP is know what you are adding and why. You should test your salt, because you do not know the starting point for salt addition. It may take more or less than you think you are going to add. Test. Add enough to raise your salt to the recommended level for your SWCG...as recommended by your cell manufacturer. Note the difference between actual level from your test and your cell. Not if the cell is working. You can make final adjustments from there.

The biggest worry I have with swimming while SLAM-ing, is children who are young enough that they're going to accidentally get a few mouthfuls of the water even if they try to avoid it.
SLAM level FC and below are safe for people and equipment. Your little ones will not be affected.