Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have the following right now:

Polaris VRX IQ+ (corded) -- for my main pool, really love it.
WaterTech CX1 (cordless) -- used to be for my main pool, but replaced it with the Polaris for a couple of reasons

I have a small overflow basin (roughly 1600 gallons of water) for my disappearing edge feature. The basin is roughly 3.5' feet wide, 25-30' long, and 3' deep, and it's curved in nature (see attached picture).

This overflow basic basically acts like a giant skimmer. All the Crud from my pool (and there's a lot of it because I'm in the middle of the woods) comes over the disappearing edge and ends up collecting in the floor of the basic (or floating), which means I vacuum out the overflow basic almost daily to keep it clean. I'm tired of vacuuming it so often. I don't want a corded pool cleaner, it -needs- to be cordless.

Since the basin is small, it only probably needs to run 10-15 minutes or so at most to clean the floor (I'd probably empty the filter every 2-3 days). However, there's a couple gotchas that I can't use my WaterTech CX1 cordless in the basin even though I already own it.
  • The basin is long and narrow, so the cleaner needs to be able to turn 90 degrees+ easily. (The Watertech ends up staying in one corner of the basin usually because it doesn't seem to turn sharply very easily)
  • The basin has two drains in it, so the cleaner needs to be able to get over these drains (The Watertech often gets stuck on those drains)
So maybe a smaller sized cordless cleaner that has good manueverability, given the small space might work well? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm just tired of cleaning out this darn overflow basin so often, especially this time of year!

Attachments

• 20230515_185525.jpg
    20230515_185525.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 21
I'm on the same quest. I have a 25' long by 4' wide basin, slightly curved. I'm trying out a dark horse option: Hydrus cordless pool vacuum. I've only had it a day, but so far so good. It is small and simple enough to jog back and forth along the basin floor, and it's only about $160 on Amazon, so won't break the bank if it doesn't last long.

The pool stays very clean thanks to 2 skimmers and the big negative edge, so the floor of the catch basin is the only problem area. The basin drains take care of the fine filtration, and hopefully this little bot keeps handling the debris. For the price, my expectations on longevity aren't high, but we'll see!

Attachments

• 20230524_162725.jpg
    20230524_162725.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: jesse-99
Wow, awesome, thanks for the tip. Does your overflow basin have the 2 big 12x12 drains? Mine does, and (some) robots can get stuck on those, ugh. Do you have that issue in yours? @janadian

Wow, awesome, thanks for the tip. Does your overflow basin have the 2 big 12x12 drains? Mine does, and (some) robots can get stuck on those, ugh. Do you have that issue in yours? @janadian
Mine has 4 of the round floor drain covers. The robot hits them and kinda jostles around and keeps going. Sometimes it pings back and forth between 2 of them for a bit, but doesn't seem to get stuck there. It's a lightweight "dumb" robot, which is actually just what I needed for the basin. It's only week 1, but so far it's been fine. My 16 year old son is the "pool boy," and he plops it in, sets an hour timer on his phone, then fishes it off the bottom, empties it, and plugs it back in.

Here's the link: Amazon.com

I think it might be a preliminary or factory version of the most basic Aiper bot.

Last edited:
Thanks! Going to order it and try it. Funny, looks like your disappearing/overflow edge is just a fancy name for a giant skimmer too!

Mine has 4 of the round floor drain covers. The robot hits them and kinda jostles around and keeps going. Sometimes it pings back and forth between 2 of them for a bit, but doesn't seem to get stuck there. It's a lightweight "dumb" robot, which is actually just what I needed for the basin. It's only week 1, but so far it's been fine. My 16 year old son is the "pool boy," and he plops it in, sets an hour timer on his phone, then fishes it off the bottom, empties it, and plugs it back in.

Here's the link: Amazon.com

I think it might be a preliminary or factory version of the most basic Aiper bot.
So I tried the robot you mentioned. I'm not sure it's going to work for me. My overflow basin is kind of banana shaped and it just moves around in the same area over and over back and forth (see pic with blue line). The other issue is, it moves way too fast and disturbs the water as a result, so it just stirs up the things laying on the bottom of the pool and disperses them in water before the robot can actually pick stuff up (think dead algae, light dirt, etc.).

1686679552915.png

Do you have any of those issues with yours? The moving-too-fast issue is the biggest issue for me, it's like the speed should be 1/2 or less of what it really is, to minimize disruption of the stuff in the water, etc.

Not sure if Amazon will take a return on this or not?

So I tried the robot you mentioned. I'm not sure it's going to work for me. My overflow basin is kind of banana shaped and it just moves around in the same area over and over back and forth (see pic with blue line). The other issue is, it moves way too fast and disturbs the water as a result, so it just stirs up the things laying on the bottom of the pool and disperses them in water before the robot can actually pick stuff up (think dead algae, light dirt, etc.).

View attachment 503400

Do you have any of those issues with yours? The moving-too-fast issue is the biggest issue for me, it's like the speed should be 1/2 or less of what it really is, to minimize disruption of the stuff in the water, etc.

Not sure if Amazon will take a return on this or not?
Darn! I'm so sorry it's not working for you. In mine it mostly runs lengthwise. My basin only has a very gradual curve to it, maybe that's the difference? I can see how the superfine particles would be a problem. I rely on the floor drains/filter for the tiny stuff, but the robot is still doing well with debris and course sand (recent pebble replaster). I'm bummed it's not a silver bullet for you too!

Maybe 15 mins with a pool blaster is the way to go? That's going to be my next move if this bot doesn't last long.

Yeah I have a Pool Blaster CG and its great. I'm just trying to automate, lol. I just bought a Wybot S1 cordless today and going to try that. It has a 30 day return policy too.

Reactions: janadian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.