Need help! Bypass heater

kwh0202

Jul 12, 2023
SoCal
Hi! My pool heater started leaking underneath. I hired a local pro from yelp to install a bypass valve for my heater I'm not prepared to buy a new heater right now and he say it "wasn't worth" fixing. Instead, without asking, he cut out all the plumbing to my heater and took it with him in his truck when I wasn't looking, flexed apart the remaining short pipes and glued in two plastic connectors (see before and after photos). Is this done correctly? Now I can't install a new heater because he took my plumbing. He said he cut out my plumbing because my pipes are "warped" so his connectors don't fit. He said I need all new plumbing from my salt cell and to my filter due to "warped pipes" so he can install a connector to bypass the heater. I can't run my filter. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6257.jpeg
    IMG_6257.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6255.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6260.jpeg
    IMG_6260.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6259.jpeg
    IMG_6259.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to TFP.

Show us all of your plumbing from the pump to the filter and into the returns.

We don’t know what the pipes look like that he took away.

A new heater will come with new unions and require replumbing anyway. I am not sure what he did is thst much of a big deal.

It’s no big deal. He just cut off the piping and bypassed the heater permanently. As soon as you get a new heater those 90s will be cut and replaced with couplers and new pipes with unions will connect to the new heater. It is no issue. Why can’t you run your filter pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.