Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC3 (RC-42)
I opened the pool today and the pump just hums for 5 seconds and then trips the breaker. After searching for awhile I noticed that it might be corroded and a simple turn could maybe fix it to break it free. All the videos I see all have access to their impeller and can turn with a screwdriver, but I don't. Any tips?

filter.jpg

Behind the centrifugal switch the shaft protrudes and can be grabbed with a open end wrench. Make sure the power is off. The hum can be the capacitor too.
is the centrifugal switch the metal piece in the middle? I should take that off and then try to spin it? Is there an easy way to check if capacitor is bad?

is the centrifugal switch the metal piece in the middle?
Yes. The copper V.
I should take that off and then try to spin it?
No

Try just spinning the governor (i.e. silver square with the springs) with your fingers. It should move easily. If not, could be interference or bad bearings.

BTW, what you are accessing is not the impeller but the motor shaft. While it is connected to the impeller, the impeller is on the other end of that shaft in the wet end. If there is interference, you may want to remove the motor from the wet end to inspect the impeller.

Last edited:
Yes. The copper V.

No

Try just spinning the governor (i.e. silver square with the springs) with your fingers. It should move easily. If not, could be interference or bad bearings.

BTW, what you are accessing is not the impeller but the motor shaft. While it is connected to the impeller, the impeller is on the other end of that shaft in the wet end. If there is interference, you may want to remove the motor from the wet end to inspect the impeller.
Alright thanks for the tips. Is there an easy way to check if capacitor is bad?

A capacitor tester is the best method if you have one.

But if you don't have one and you have an ohm meter, you can look at resistance across the capacitor as a function of time. Discharge the capacitor (short leads) first, then put an ohm meter across the capacitor. It should read 0 initially and slowly climb. But this only proves there is no short or open, not the actual capacitance so it is not as good as a direct measurement.

If you have neither and don't want to buy one, you could just replace the capacitor. But only do that if you can spin the motor shaft easily.

Reactions: newtonfb