Aug 4, 2021
Central New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all! I'm in central NY and swim weather is still a LONG way off :(
I'm starting to price my pool chemicals and see they have not returned to "normal" and probably won't in my lifetime! I also just got my pool guy's price list for opening & closing my 16 X 26 foot pool. YIKES! $562.00. I need to learn how to open & close MYSELF.

Reading up on substitutions for my "go-to" BioGuard Silk Guard Complete 3" tablets. I have an automatic chlorinator and have used these tabs since new pool build in 2018 with great success. Any suggestions for a cheaper replacement for these?pool2.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We can help you with all of the above. Two big things to start doing now:
1 - Be sure to have a proper test kit; either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. I recommend the TF-100, but either is fine. Always test your own water.
2 - Bookmark and start reading our Pool Care Basics page. Just about evrything you need to know is in that area. It's a great resource.

If you have any question let us know. Lots of members here to help. Enjoy. :swim:

Reactions: Mdragger88
I also just got my pool guy's price list for opening & closing my 16 X 26 foot pool. YIKES! $562.00. I need to learn how to open & close MYSELF.
We. Got. You. :)

We walk several through it each year for opening and closing. Opening is an easier task for your first rodeo, and when it comes time for closing, well, you'll do great for the second rodeo.

Any suggestions for a cheaper replacement for these?
Tabs aren't sustainable for most people. They are stabilized with CYA and each tab adds more. The more CYA you have, the more FC (chlorine) it takes to sanitize at the same level. See FC/CYA Levels. Even with our short seasons up here, you are flirting with a swamp towards the end of the season. I understand it's worked so far. I do. But the road to TFP is paved with thousands and thousands who walked in your shoes. Luckily you got here in good times before the headaches. :)

We reccomend liquid chlorine or a Salt Water Chlorine Generator to add the chlorine on your behalf.