Need assistance with Old Hayward DE Grid Filter 6020 (Sounds of Pepples inside and part confusion)

PoolFLPool

Apr 25, 2022
USA
My Hayward Filter was installed in 2003. This filter design has changed over the past 20 years so I am confused about part replacement. Current diagrams show different parts. The diagram on Hayward website does not reflect the same filter parts although very similar. I tried calling Hayward and customer service people have no familiarity with the products they sell. Totally incompetent's. Here are my questions:

#1 - Sounds of Pebbles inside Multiport - Last season I changed the handle part from SP0710XR50 to replacement part SP0710G11M. I undersxtood it to be the new version of the part but now I am not sure. I am wondering if the replacement part was wrong and it is causing the sound I hear.

#2 - I am seeking a replacement Clamp assembly but the only one I can find is DEX2421JKIT which looks nothing like the original I have on the DE6020. Will it work ? The original I have has springs on it that tighten as you turn the nut.

I can use some advise. Thank you all.

Last edited:
A quick internet search will tell you that DEX2421JKIT is the new-style clamp Hayward now uses. Not likely that you will find the old. The tank clamps are the weakest (read least safe) part of a filter and are constantly being improved in someway. Hayward tech support is not going to tell you anything about a 19-year-old filter because there is too much liability on their part if someone gets hurt. Nineteen years is a very long life for pool equipment that under goes the strains and stress that is placed on it.

If the new handle is "loose" when placed in position, has some up-down play, it is probably working correctly. If it seems tight it may not be allowing the diverter to completely seal against the spider gasket and you hear water leaking form one port to another. Most likely, though, you are hearing air in the valve and have a slight suction leak somewhere.

A quick internet search will tell you that DEX2421JKIT is the new-style clamp Hayward now uses. Not likely that you will find the old. The tank clamps are the weakest (read least safe) part of a filter and are constantly being improved in someway. Hayward tech support is not going to tell you anything about a 19-year-old filter because there is too much liability on their part if someone gets hurt. Nineteen years is a very long life for pool equipment that under goes the strains and stress that is placed on it.

If the new handle is "loose" when placed in position, has some up-down play, it is probably working correctly. If it seems tight it may not be allowing the diverter to completely seal against the spider gasket and you hear water leaking form one port to another. Most likely, though, you are hearing air in the valve and have a slight suction leak somewhere.
Opened up the key of the valve to inspect. Upon inspecting the gasket framing (Lack of a better word) which the gasket sits in, I see a piece is broken off or missing and likely not holding the gasket it place as designed, likely causing the gasket to bulg out of position. I decided to buy a brand new multiport valve. Upon comparing the new one to the old one, I confirm that surely a piece is broken/missing. I suspect that this is causing the pebble sound inside the multiport valve. It is probably causing a slight regurgitation. I will replace it to let you know. By the way, no bubbles inside pump. There is a very light water drip on the pump output connection. If any air is causing the clicking sound it is likely from this point. I will have the plumbing redone and the new valve put in. Question - Teflon tape or Permatex #2 for the connection point on valve to filter tank ? Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.