need advice on opening pool

Yesterday the sunlight wiped out my Chlorine throughout the day. I was only able to measure FC of 1 at 5:00 pm after raising it to 15 in the morning. I added enough to raise it back up but didn't measure again until this morning. Anyway, this morning I measured FC at 16.5 and CC at 0.5. Now I'm wishing I tested last night since I might have actually passed the overnight test. I'm going to do that test tonight to see if I can pass. I also started with adding 10 lbs of Calcium Chloride last night. I have a lot more to add to get my CH up but I figured it's a start. I'll try to take some pics to post when I work on the pool tonight. Unless I hear advice otherwise I'm also going to start adding CYA 1 lb at a time in a sock near one of my returns. Thanks.

Butterfly said:
What about your filter media in step #7?

7. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

I haven't quite reached the 1 ppm loss but I'm hopeful for tonight. Last night I lost 1.5 FC. between 11:00 p.m and 6:15 a.m. Once I'm past step 7 I'll post a full set of results. Thanks.

Alright - I'm finally there. Made it through the conversion checklist except for the final item - balancing the water.

Here are my most recent results:

FC 8.5
CC 0
TC 8.5
PH 7.0
TA 50
CH 200
CYA 0

I've started adding CYA in a sock in front of a return jet. I'm shooting to get it around 30. I actually have been adding CH slowly over the past couple days and have gone from 60 to 200 in that time. I just added enough to get me to around 260. I know my PH and TA are a low and will be grabbing some supplies tomorrow afternoon to start getting those up. I was thinking about starting with TA and shooting for about 80 using baking soda before retesting and using borax to bring up the PH. Does that sound right or should I adjust PH first and then retest and adjust TA?

I do have some new staining on the plaster but I'll deal with that once I get the pool balanced. I suspect that they are metal stains because they didn't respond at all to a trichlor puck and they have a pretty rough texture that is different than the plaster. I'm going to try out a vitamin C tablet to see if that lifts the stain. Anyway - that's an issue for another day!

Thanks again for all the help. My pool is looking great so far. It already seems to be cleaner than I was able to keep it last year and cleaner than the abovepr ground pool at my old house. I can only imagine where I'll be once I'm balanced properly. I'm hoping to get some updated pics up in the next day or two.

I seem to be pretty close to getting everything balanced. Here are my current numbers:

FC: 5
CC: 0
TC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 230
CYA: 25

So it looks like I need to get CH up a bit more and I'm waiting on CYA to stabilize a bit before doing any adjustment. I added it in the middle of last week in a sock in front of a return jet. My last dose went in on Friday and disolved by the end of yesterday. There are still a small amount in the sock that is still hanging but it can't be more than an ounce or two. If I'm remembering right, CYA can take up to a week before it measures accurately so I don't want to add anything based on my current measurement. Regardless, it has started to make a nice impact minimizing the chlorine loss during the day. Anyway, let me know if I should make any other adjustments to my levels above.

Thanks for the help.

As a side note, I have a slow leak in one or more of my suction/return lines. I have an appointment setup to get them fixed, but in the mean time I'm losing enough water that I have to add water about once a week to keep above my skimmer. I'm no sure how much loss is due to the leak vs how much is due to evaporation. I'm planning on getting CH and TA toward the high side of the recommended range so I don't have to adjust it weekly from the dilution. I'm a bit more cautious about CYA - I'd rather add as needed after adding water. Does anyone have any other recommendations about dealing with my levels until the leak is fixed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.