poool

Jun 19, 2023
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP, after long struggles being mislead by pool stores, my pool has been great thanks to you, thanks! I moved into a house with a pool late last year, this is my first season with a pool.

But now I'm in a jam. My pump just stopped working suddenly, a Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump, and my closing is in 3 weeks. It's only been 2 days now, but there's already a bunch of leaves already on the bottom. Not sure how long before water turns. I feel like I don't want to buy a new pump and burn all the extra warranty time just sitting there closed to keep it open for a couple weeks open where it likely wont get used anyway, but I'm not sure what would be best, or how I'd get all the leaves and stuff out in the next 3 weeks without a pump.

Checking the pump,
  • There's no humming
  • The capacitor I guess is in range?
    • Should it take this long to read (about 50 seconds to show the right reading)? Is my ~15yr old multimeter just not good?
  • There's power, reading 245V at the pump with it switched on
Anything else I can check on the pump?

If I should just go get a pump, any suggestions on which?

PXL_20220816_205850608.jpg

That appears to be an old single speed motor that dates back to Mar 2005. While you could try a new cap, I think it's time to put it out to pasture. For now, you could try manual sweeping & scooping to get the visible debris out of there. To mix chemicals, see if you can get your hands on a separate pump (sump pump, etc) to circulate water around. That coupled with manual mixing may help you limp along until closing. I would get chlorine in there now though and manually sweep it around. Once it goes green it will be impossible to do a SLAM Process without a good pump.

So I did that today, premixed some cal hypo and brushed the leaves to stir them up and caught them with a skimmer net. Worked pretty good. I'll leave the blue cover pump for a while to help move the water a bit. I'll continue on like this for the next couple weeks. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230916_161853737.MP_exported_1067.jpg
    PXL_20230916_161853737.MP_exported_1067.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230916_170215663.jpg
    PXL_20230916_170215663.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.