Need advice for a world without TFP!

Nateski

Jun 2, 2023
Arizona
Hey everyone. I just completed my DIY pool build in Goodyear, Arizona and have had water in it for about a month. I'm getting up to speed on TFP water chemistry and dialing my water in using liquid chlorine -- so far no problems (except having to start with a really high alkalinity). My big problem now is, in about a month, I'm leaving my pool for six months (we're snowbirds as they say) and need to solve my pool maintenance/water chemistry while I'm gone. I'm having a really hard time finding a pool service company that doesn't use chlorine tabs as their standard practice, introducing the problem of growing my CYA while I'm gone. Given the nature of the pool service world, I'm not sure finding a pool service company that operates with the TFP paradigm is even remotely possible. My CYA is currently low now (under 30) and I'm trying to bring it up to the minimum with powdered additive. My problem is trying to find a pool service company that won't undo all my work to try to get the water in balance. Plus, I'm not sure if a once a week service using liquid chlorine would even work in the upcoming super hot Arizona summer (even if I could find a company that would do it -- although the pool would certainly be getting less organic matter introduced because no one will be using it or the spa). I'm also concerned that copper might get introduced via the tabs with a less-than-enlightened (or diligent) pool service. How to solve this? Should I just let a service company use tabs for 6 months then just drain off/replenish water in the fall when I"m back and try to get my water back in balance -- only to repeat this fix/destroy/fix cycle endlessly over the coming years? It almost seems like the TFP method is not going to be compatible with our snowbird lifestyle (which would be very dissappointing). I'm feeling pretty distressed over this and could sure use some wisdom from you all for possible paths to a solution (no pun intended!).

Standard pool service here in the desert is lots of tablets and you drain the pool in April and September to refresh.

If you cannot care for the pool, that is the service you should sign up for.

Kind of confused why one would have a pool if not using it in the summer. We use ours May thru early October. Sounds like you are gone those months -----

Hey everyone. I just completed my DIY pool build in Goodyear, Arizona and have had water in it for about a month. I'm getting up to speed on TFP water chemistry and dialing my water in using liquid chlorine -- so far no problems (except having to start with a really high alkalinity). My big problem now is, in about a month, I'm leaving my pool for six months (we're snowbirds as they say) and need to solve my pool maintenance/water chemistry while I'm gone. I'm having a really hard time finding a pool service company that doesn't use chlorine tabs as their standard practice, introducing the problem of growing my CYA while I'm gone. Given the nature of the pool service world, I'm not sure finding a pool service company that operates with the TFP paradigm is even remotely possible. My CYA is currently low now (under 30) and I'm trying to bring it up to the minimum with powdered additive. My problem is trying to find a pool service company that won't undo all my work to try to get the water in balance. Plus, I'm not sure if a once a week service using liquid chlorine would even work in the upcoming super hot Arizona summer (even if I could find a company that would do it -- although the pool would certainly be getting less organic matter introduced because no one will be using it or the spa). I'm also concerned that copper might get introduced via the tabs with a less-than-enlightened (or diligent) pool service. How to solve this? Should I just let a service company use tabs for 6 months then just drain off/replenish water in the fall when I"m back and try to get my water back in balance -- only to repeat this fix/destroy/fix cycle endlessly over the coming years? It almost seems like the TFP method is not going to be compatible with our snowbird lifestyle (which would be very dissappointing). I'm feeling pretty distressed over this and could sure use some wisdom from you all for possible paths to a solution (no pun intended!).
Are you saying that you built a pool just to abandoned it during summer or am I reading this wrong? anyway, what mknauss said...

Thanks for the feedback, MK.

When we bought in AZ a few years ago, we had only gravel in our entire backyard and needed to finish it. We'll use our spa a LOT during the winter. Since this was DIY, we saved a bunch and figured we might as well have a pool too and heat it up a few times in the winter (especially for guests). Plus, we're still undecided about the possibility of living year round in AZ in the future. However, I'm now seeing the hidden costs of that decision in trying to solve the maintenance issue.

So, if I go with a tab oriented service company (and the drain & start over process), am I in danger of any damage to my equipment, staining of tile, copper issues, etc.? Any suggestions in how to screen for the best company?

Last edited:
The pH is typically very low with tablet use. Not sure how that impacts a SEMCO pond liner.

I am curious, with that construction, could you get a cover for the pool, and just drain it when you leave?

I had considered draining the pool as an option. We shouldn't have to worry about any groundwater issues popping it out of the ground. But, I initially abandoned that idea because I wasn't sure about the impact of super high temps on my tile/SEMCO with the sun beating down on it (150 degree plus) plus the problem of rain/monsoon waters turning to algae while I'm gone. However, using a cover is a new thought. It would cut the sun element out of it, but I'd still have the 115 to 120 degree ambiant heat -- perhaps that wouldn't be a problem. But, (given my construction) I'm not sure I could get a water tight cover which would still leave me with a stagnant water problem.

Sadly, well managed pools are not meant to be left alone during prime pool season.

I had considered draining the pool as an option. We shouldn't have to worry about any groundwater issues popping it out of the ground. But, I initially abandoned that idea because I wasn't sure about the impact of super high temps on my tile/SEMCO with the sun beating down on it (150 degree plus) plus the problem of rain/monsoon waters turning to algae while I'm gone. However, using a cover is a new thought. It would cut the sun element out of it, but I'd still have the 115 to 120 degree ambiant heat -- perhaps that wouldn't be a problem. But, (given my construction) I'm not sure I could get a water tight cover which would still leave me with a stagnant water problem.
Why not just use a salt chlorine generator and then the weekly pool service wont need to add tabs and can just manage water levels, cleaning, etc.

Reactions: proavia
Why not just use a salt chlorine generator and then the weekly pool service wont need to add tabs and can just manage water levels, cleaning, etc.
I will guarantee they will still use tablets. And ignore the SWCG.

Would adding a SWG indeed solve my problem (if I could get a guarantee from the service company not to add tabs)? I'm uneducated on the SWG route since I initially chose not to go that route. My automation system makes adding a generator an easy matter (except for the equipment costs).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A SWCG will generate chlorine onsite. It needs to be adjusted to keep the FC in target range.
The pool will need to have acid added weekly as your fill water TA will push the pH higher.
IF you could get a pool service to agree to add acid (not tablets or dry acid) each week, send you the FC test (a good one, not a test strip), such that you could manage FC, it should work. Start CYA level at 80 ppm when you leave and it should be OK for the summer. CH build up will still be an issue.

A Swg does seem like it would be helpful but your real issue is that pool techs are not going to come more than once a week and are not going to run proper tests.

I think draining it if that’s possible is your only real option. Another option is to find someone who will do all your testing and pay them appropriately for the added work that you are requesting. After you find that person, cross your fingers and hope it works out.

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but is the adjustment to the SWCG for proper FC level something I can do online like all the rest of my automation? Or does that tech need to do that locally?

With your IntelliCenter, you can adjust a Pentair Intellichlor generation %. You need a FC test (and preferably a CYA test) result to base the setting on.

Or you could just let the pool service add tabs during your 6-ish month absence.
Then when you return in the Fall, do a full drain/refill.
This would bring your CYA and CH down. 6500 gallons isn't all that much water to drain/refill.

I would suggest having cameras that records 24/7 pointed at the pool and the pool equipment pad so you can check on those every so often. Being gone 6 months at a time, I'd want to be able to monitor the pool and equipment visually.