Need a pool cover pump

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
Can anyone recommend a pump for pool cover? Prefer the sump pump style so I can use it as a sump pump also. Some of these pumps shoot water out side, I would like one shoot water up and out. Sorry if I’m not being clear, not sure how else to phrase it.
thank you so much…..

Reactions: Mdragger88
What do you think of this one? Has freeze protection and auto shut off.

It does not drain the cover completely and leaves over 3/8 inch of water on the cover. Light rains will just leave a puddle on the cover.

I found electronic sensor switches flakey. I like a real float switch.

What do you think of this one? Has freeze protection and auto shut off.

I have this pump - I believe it to be the same as a wayne cover pump.
It works great. It got clogged by seedlings/pods 🌱 & I found the wayne instructional video & unclogged it. Been running like a champ ever since. I have not really tested the freeze protection because the hose will freeze first & the pump will continue to try to pump so i remove it to prevent this occurrence. As far as i know this will happen with all of them unless it had continuous flow at the time of freezing. It is also heavy enough that it creates its own puddle & sucks it dry.

Last edited:
Also of note - when I thought it was dead (but it was just clogged) I immediately went through the protocol to return as the return window was almost up.
Fyi - You cannot return pumps or sprayers to the store at harbor freight. So i filled out the return form & submitted it, they emailed me & refunded my $ & told me to discard the pump.

I have this pump - I believe it to be the same as a wayne cover pump.

Which Wayne pump do you have? Similar design but definitely not the same as the…

pool-pump-600x600.jpg

Which Wayne pump do you have? Similar design but definitely not the same as the…

pool-pump-600x600.jpg
I have the harbor freight one - it’s designed exactly the same - I don’t think harbor freight actually manufacturers anything. It came apart exactly like the wayne model.

It does not drain the cover completely and leaves over 3/8 inch of water on the cover. Light rains will just leave a puddle on the cover.

I found electronic sensor switches flakey. I like a real float switch.

Doesn't the Little Giant that you recommended leave puddles on the cover? Product documentation says it shuts off at 1" on water. The Wayne pump shuts off at 3/4".

I looked all over the place for one that would shut off at a smaller depth but couldn't find one with a float.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Little Giant pump leaves very little water on the cover. Less then 1/4 inch.

Tomorrow i will take a pic of how much water the harbor freight one leaves. Its really not any because it sucks it dry so fast when it’s on - it just doesn’t turn back on until it’s little puddle gets high enough to trigger the pump again the next time it rains.

As promised- here’s the pic

It rained the day before yesterday- the cover was dry yesterday.
2D8B4AEE-F5AB-4AA2-B192-F0395625E637.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.