NC Stain Free, cloudy afterwards, can't add chlorine without turning green

ctmomo

Jun 21, 2018
Glastonbury CT
Hi there!
Yes, new to the forum. Hoping this is proper way/ place to post, please inform/ forgive mistakes. Yes, I've been trying to work with local Leslie's and other pool store, but neither of them are helping, been sold a bunch of stuff that hasn't worked out well, so I know I have to commit here and learn everything, myself! But I am behind, trying to catch up, info overload, and I have a tough situation I need to solve ASAP. I do not have the Taylor test kit, will order. Testing noted here is by leslies unless otherwise noted. I do like their printouts- very clear for history!!

Story:
1. Over winter, chunk of plaster cracked off top step, after a year?? of having hairline crack that I kept trying to get my pool guy (builder who replastered my pool in 2014) to fix. Drained pool to 1/2, added algicide, waited. 6/2 they chipped it out clean and replastered patch. Had a tanker truck refill pool ($300-). Shocked with 4 gal liquid chlorine. 1st time I've ever seen pool water turn green after shocking!! Research: metals in water.

2. 6/4 water test. Water green after shocking. FAC 5, TC 5, CH 200, CYA 30, TA 100, ph 7.4, showed no copper or iron, TDS 500, Phos 200.
They had Metalfree, used that, was able to clear it.
Added: Nat Chem phosfree & poolperfect. (for phosphates, was going to bring TC to 0) Water turned very clear, couldn't even see surface, pool looked empty (was full.)

3. Plaster patch was white, showing that my 4-yr old plaster was NOT (yellowish?). My pool guy (builder who replastered my pool 2014) recommended Natural Chem's Stain Free (citric acid) to remove staining.

4. I brought the chlorine levels to 0 (burn off.) Ordered and sprinkled in 1/2 bottle (1.75 lb,) StainFree mostly around the steps and on the spa seat/ steps (6/13.) Let sit overnight. Morning: better. Brushed a bit and added other 1/2 bottle. Next morning: like new plaster on the steps, I couldn't believe it. Though there was still faint ring around. BUT. The water was cloudy, milky blue. Could not see the 3rd step. I don't know if this was calcium scale releasing into the water or what, I read someone else one here observing this too. Filtration was doing nothing- no difference after 24 hrs. Particles seemed to be superfine.

5. 6/14, pm, water test. Water blue & milky. FC 0, TC 0, CH 190, CYA 15, TA 70, ph 7.2, showed no copper or iron, TDS 500, phos 0.
TA 70, They advised adding 5 lb Alk up. Ugh, I know, but I did it. Also advised to start bringing chlorine up. Stainfree had advised bring it up slowly too.
Added: 1/2 gal liquid chlorine 4pm & 4 oz ultrabrite clarifier. I know.... & floater tabs with stabilizer.

6. 6/15. Water turned green & cloudy overnight. Water test: FC 2, TC 2, CH 220, CYA 10, TA 140, ph 7.4, showed no copper or iron (in reaction?). TDS 600, phos 0
Added: bottle metal free. Turned from green to blue cloudy.
They advised adding muriatic acid (16 oz.) but I was leery of overdoing again. I had a few oz of muriatic acid, I put that in.

7. 6/16 water test. Water blue and cloudy. FC .5, TC 2, CH 260, CYA 0, TA 120, ph 7.4, showed no copper or iron, TDS 600, Phos 100.
Filter had been running continuously and was making no difference, I've never seen that before. Particles seemed to be too small.
Leslies advised I had a chlorine block and non-chlorine shock would break it up. Now I know that it was probably just the Citric acid eating the chlorine. But I followed advice. Turned green.

8. 6/17 water test. Water green and cloudy after non-chlorine shock (oxygenating: fresh n clear.) FC .5, TC .5, CH 240, CYA 0, TA 180, ph 7.6, showed no copper or iron, TDS 700, Phos 100.
Gave me a bottle of metal free, no charge. Turned water back to blue and cloudy.

Advised I call "more expert" branch, who said either drain and fill or use a stronger metal sequestrant that they don't carry. Research: other local pool shop carries jacks magic line.

9. Also called Natural Chem help line, had no confidence that young woman knew the chemistry or was listening to what I was observing (metal bonds breaking and forming repeatedly? etc)
DID advise I find a pulp-based filter aid for my cartridge filters. Neither of my local pool shop recommends adding to cartridge filters?? Inconsistent reviews online, so not sure. My filters would be $200+ to replace if ruined....?
She also advised to bring up chlorine slowly. I was pretty sure it'd turn green if I added chlorine.

10. 6/18. Went to other pool shop looking for Jacks magic sequestrant. They told me they no longer carry, wouldn't say why! Water test (no printouts, so all numbers are "ish" and verbally given) FC .5, ph 7.8, TA 200, CH 300. Water blue and milky.
Advised: add ph "down," slowly, run filter continuously. Had turned it off overnight, looked to me like that was ineffective, particles were too small.
I brought ph down over 2 days. Possibly some restaining of plaster, not sure. Water cleared slightly, but I didn't brush it during that time either. Ran vacuum: nothing in filter, made no difference.

11. 6/20. Water test. Verbal- ph and Alk 7.4? 120? ish. Ok though I could add bit more ph down. TA 0, CYA 0
Advised: Add their own, (30$ for 16 tabs) chlorine tabs to skimmer. Ok, fine.
I pulled out a dead rodent from the skimmer and knew TA was 0, so I added 1/2 bottle liquid chlorine.
Turned greenish cloudy immediately.

FINALLY, QUESTIONS:
How to proceed?
12. Thinking I have too much in the water, milk particles are too small and too much metal?? Might have to bite the bullet and drain and fill. Need to stop fussing & stressing, at this rate there will be no pool season, and kids are getting out of school! Too bad, this water is WARM, it's been hot (for us, at least!) :)

13. It's been 1 week & 1 day since I did Nat Chem Stain Free. Water is greenish. There's been some restaining with the ph bounce and all the breaking and forming metal bonds (green-blue, green- blue...guessing?) Should I redo the citric acid??

14. But water is greenish already. ?

15. Metal sequestrant first if I try? Or even if I don't!? Don't want to restain. Leslies has SeaKlear metal … I think it's the stain remover vs the preventer. I read on here others have used, with success?? I think I saw Chemgeek say it was HEDP which is the recommended sequestrant??? I can't find manuf info.

16. Other option being ordering & waiting longer with green pool ...Jacks magic (which one?) or proteam metal magic which seems to get more consistent positive reviews??

17. Have also read somewhere people having success with NC 1st aid clearing pool cloudiness?

18. If I can get to the point where I CAN get the milk filtered out and the metals to stay in solution just fine, maybe I'll wait til fall to lower by 1/2.... and swim now!! That'd be best scenario I think at this point. Rain & Snow will help refill to ready point for Spring.

19. Refilling.... $300 for 1/2 fill, $600 for 12k gal. Supposedly there's a source that's reputed to be metal free. Can't fill with my well water, would take months. And probably some metal. Do 1/2 or full if I have to go that route??

20. OR...… I read somewhere superchlorinate…. that might clear the milk, don't know, but how could that get the metals out? Does that work- people have success in similar situation to mine??? Matter is neither created nor destroyed, would have to go somewhere, not sure my cartridges can filter out....??
THANKS FOR ANY HELP OFFERED!!
Kerry

That's what I got for a 12k pool. 141oz. So add 1 gallon and 2 cups.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with going up to shock levels of chlorine, I'd pull the Dolphin out. Fine to have it in with normal levels of FC, but the shock level might start bleaching it's body and fading the colors.

Oops sorry my phone was showing I hadn't posted that. Pls disregard.
IT'S IMPROVING!!! AFTER 21 HRS. OF FILTERING I'M OPTOMISTIC THAT IT'S WORKING , POLYESTER PILLOW FILL IN SKIMMER TO REMOVE METALS!!
Congratulations, I think we're replicating your results! When I return home I will try to figure out how to post pics from throughout. The polyfill DOES look dingy now, no longer white. We scrubbed it this AM in the rain- some green on walls did scrub off. Not sure if that was algae, the poly60 algicide did help yesterday. Yes if you go a week with heat and basically 0 chlorine you will need to refresh algicide. So, some algae + metals apparently (though no test has shown them, just a guess since it's been turning green upon adding liquid chlorine.)

I still need to raise FC more. I predict it might turn more green - I'd be oxidizing more metals.... I know I can filter that out with polyester pillow fill in the skimmer (5$ for a big bag from Michaels.) I don't know what kind of a role the 3 bottles of metal free I've added since June 4th is playing (metal sequestrant which just bonds up the molecules- metal is still there though right.) But I would guess it is playing no role since I'm now breaking those bonds with chlorine (oxidizing??) Hypothesis- I didn't need to spend that 75$ or so?

Picking up a case liquid chlorine.

I guess I've been doing way too much chlorine to shock! Hah! At opening I'd add a case of 12.5% liquid chlorine.... 4 gallons. Then more the next day if not completely clear. But then just floater trichlor for the summer, really nothing else, all the levels would just stay right on. Easy button.

Wondering if there might be value in adding "Polyester pillow filler packed tight and full in skimmer" to absorbic acid & citric acid stain remover directions.

If the site allows me to post more photos later in a bit I will, but yes, my pool water turned more green again upon adding 1 bottle 12.5% liquid chlorine... so I'm running the filter with the polyester pillow filler (Michaels, 5$ for a big bag.) Recap: My pool water has been turning green when I add chlorine, which indicates metals. I had a fill trucked which seems to have contained metals (turned green when I shocked.) Plus probably released more metals into the water when I did stain removal treatment (citric acid.)

hmmm I really wish the site asked me if I wanted to resize when attaching! Sorry these are huge. If I can take the time to resize and repost I will, I assume that's my only option?
Color in photos on my monitor don't appear true to life, hopefully they will on yours.
20180623_081103.jpgToday 6/23/18 after 21 hrs filtering with Polyester pillow filler. Significantly less green. And more clear. Sundown last night I could sort of see the faint dividing line between filtered (near returns) and not yet filtered (near skimmer.) FC .5, and CYA 10?? by pool store, still waiting on my own test kit

20180623_081158.jpg

6/23 Polyester pillow fill packed in the skimmer (looks brownish, as does the skimmer plastic now), culator bag doesn't appear to have done anything at all, I've had it in the skimmer since I added the Citric Acid stain remover (Nat Chem Stain Free.) Trichlor sticks are on top of the poly fill. Oddly, when we changed all this out, the fill was stained very brown right under the trichlor sticks. I wonder if they have copper and polyfill filters it out immediately! Polyfill was not difficult to change out, whatever was trapped in the pillow fill stayed there when we pulled it out. Might not have even needed to change it yet, wasn't saturated. But if FC and CYA had dropped overnight, I wonder if those sticks are getting trapped too. I think I need to get some liquid Cyanuric Acid from Home Depot?? Less than the $30- from pool store and won't get trapped??? At least it's a cloudy rainy day, FC won't burn off, I think?

20180623_081024.jpg6/23 8am, 21 hrs after adding poly60 algicide AND filtering with polyester pillow fill

20180617_103724.jpg6/15 Green cloudy after adding chlorine(1/2 bottle liquid 12.5%, CYA and FC were 0ish) It's been various shades of green upon adding some chlorine, some electric green.
20180616_154107.jpg6/14 Cloudy after using Citric acid. There are 3 steps. This cloudiness has been very tough to clear up. But much much cleaner looking plaster. Yellow is gone. Plaster patch at front of top step blends much better.
20180613_183652.jpg6/13 General yellowish staining all over steps, if your monitor will show true to life (mine doesn't.) I think the brown staining is organic from leaves. I don't think it ever came out with the citric acid, I don't think it's that it's redeposited.

1, took me a second to realize your pics were going back in time, thought it was getting worse, lol

2, I'd remove the trichlor tabs/sticks as those add FC but also a lot of CYA and you'll wind up with a super high CYA and end up having to drain to remove it. Best practice is to add dry CYA and bleach separately. From your post, I'm assuming you don't realize that when CYA is put in you pool, it basically never leaves short of replacing water... FC is consumed by organics and the sun, but CYA is not. As long as you don't drain or overflow your pool, you likely won't have to add more CYA until next year. Until your proper test kit comes in, leave CYA where it is and only add bleach or liquid shock each day to keep your FC up.

If you run out of space posting images, you can either donate to get more space, or use a 3rd part site like postimg.cc

Hey! Yes pics go back in time. But, it is worse... since I'm continuing to oxidize metal with chlorine. I think my metal is copper- it's light green, the color of an oxidized copper roof or penny.

My CYA went down to 0 when I brought FC to 0 prepping for citric acid treatment. It's still 0. I had it tested today by both pool stores, and the aquacheck test strips I've got, we all agree it's 0-20. Other than floater pucks, I think I've added CYA maybe 1x in 8 years =) But you're right I don't want to overdo it, and I understand it takes time to show up.

I should get some granular then... home depot's ok I read... but, won't that take a lot of time? Should I just pay up for the liquid CYA? I'm SLAMming, today's great no sun. But tmrw some sun.

Well, I certainly wouldn't use that source of tanked water again!

Wow, that's a tough one. First of all, stop using Leslies "pool testing" service (fancy printouts can't overcome garbage) - most of them use the worst of both worlds - filter strips and an electronic color measurment off the strips. Buy a good Taylor or TF test kit - immediately!

I had a similar experience with stain removal after my newly plastered pool started staining. I use ascorbic acid and citric acid along with Jacks Magic (can't remember the color). My water was blue and milky but eventually cleared up with 24/7 filtering (sand filter) for several days (this was with a complete replaster job - could have been plaster dust but I don't know for sure). I'm convinced it was a combination of the citric/ascorbic acids and the chelating agent (my past experience has been that chelating agents cause cloudy water).

Persevere with the filtering (24/7). Have you checked your filter cartridge is OK (not torn or anything like)?

When is your test kit supposed to arrive? Test strips and Pool Stores can not give accurate results, especially with the CYA test. Just cuz they agree doesn't mean either is right. I don't remember if you've added any significant amount of water to your pool recently like a fresh fill... Do you know how many pucs have dissolved into your pool since the last time you've added any significant amount of water? And granular CYA is the way to go. Just hang a sock with how much you need (need a Taylor or TF-100's CYA results to know how much to add) in front of return and massage it every 15-30 mins. In 2-3 hours, it should be completely dissolved. It should show up on the test result a few days later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I had a 6k gal fill after I had to have the front of the top step replastered, probably how I got alot of the metals/ copper (1/2 pool fill.) Other than sticks/ pucks, I haven't added any CYA. Almost 2 sticks, maybe 2 (aged) pucks. ? Could/should I just try and raise CYA super slowly... target 15 CYA by poolmath, wait a week, then add what I need to target 30? Will work on the poolmath for that unless that's not right.

CLEAR BLUE THIS MORNING!!!! I added my 4th gallon of liquid chlorine this morning because it did look like I had a FC (free chlorine) drop by the morning (just by aquacheck test strips, from maybe about 7 to maybe about 3 though the TC -total chlorine- seemed to remain around 12. My TFT 100 test kit still hasn't arrived, so I'm flying a bit blind here.) Believe me, I was sweating it out yesterday adding a gallon of liquid chlorine a few times during the day and turning it more and more green (but also, more clear- less cloudy- at the same time of course.) It's now been an hour since I added that 4th bottle 12.5% liquid chlorine and so far it's holding steady blue and not turning green, so here's hoping all the metal is out.

Now that it's much more clear, I can still see some organic staining and presumably some metal staining on the white plaster. Not sure whether the metal came out and during this week+ battle since using stain remover (citric acid) some of it went back on, or whether I didn't get it completely off and the water was too cloudy to see that. In the fall I might go after the organics and metals again now that I have some experience!

BTW you've gotta see this, I'll try and post it, the culator bag and the edge of the skimmer has what I can only describe as tiny metal dots all over! Well, just on the top part of culator bobbing out of water. It is odd. I've had that thing in there since I started the citric acid and it's looked completely clean until yesterday afternoon when I was continually oxidizing metals with chlorine. Although I've done that before since 6/13 too, oxidized the metals with chlorine and the bag did nothing. UNLESS it's from those 2 sticks, which I've confirmed DO contain copper. That can't be good, why do such expensive pool sticks ($2 each little stick) contain copper?

Those strip start to bleach out as you approach 10FC, so while it may look like low chlorine, it could be high. Again, that's why we never trust test strips no matter what.

Those sticks containing copper... didn't know that before. Copper is said to have a tiny algaecidal property to it, but its cons far outweigh any benefits. In a proper TFP pool, you won't need algaecide at all. Some add Polyquat (think that's the name) over the winter and that is proven to prevent, but not kill existing algae. Still you don't want copper in your pool.

Unless you wanna try to do that math for how much CYA you've already added, which gets complicated because you need to know everything you'd added before your half drain and divided that by 2... I'd just wait until you're test kit comes in. They have pretty fast shipping, I got mine in 3 business days. You really don't want to risk overdoing it by a lot and dealing with high CYA.

Organic stains are easy enough to remove. But a trichlor tab from Walmart, stuff it in a sock (I think), and scrub the stains when you get in your pool. The concentrated chlorine coming off the tab will remove the organic stains. Just don't one area excessively or you could bleach that area. Work on each different stain a bit at a time so the chlorine can disperse enough to not bleach your pool surface.

If you don't see any more dull green from metal, I'd as half a gallon a day until your test comes in and you can get some real results. Everyone has trouble with the CYA test at first, so if you do to, I'll give you some tips then on the best way to do it. Bout to go to sleep now and this part is already long enough, lol.

Glad the polyfill seems to have worked for you.

Ok thanks for all that info!! Yes, I'll wait on the Cyanuric acid, keep adding some chlorine per day until I can test it myself. Great to hear about the chlorine tab on organic stains! -I'll try that.

Between the trichlor skimmer sticks and the Clorox trichlor pucks in floaters there must be some stabilizer in that pool. In fact I'll pull out what's left of the pricey sticks, they apparently have more fillers than the cheaper pucks.

Got my test kit, cya showed 0-20, confirmed no cya....I filled that vial and the dot never disappeared. Chlorine had dropped very low, predictably. Added stabilizer per pool math, 1 more gallon chlorine to bring levels up once again, I think we'll be good for this coming heat wave. Thanks again Lightmaster =)

Got my test kit, cya showed 0-20, confirmed no cya....I filled that vial and the dot never disappeared. Chlorine had dropped very low, predictably. Added stabilizer per pool math, 1 more gallon chlorine to bring levels up once again, I think we'll be good for this coming heat wave. Thanks again Lightmaster =)

How much CYA did you add? Did you add it using the sock method, hanging said sock full of CYA in front of your return and massaging it every little bit? It should fully dissolve out of the sock within a couple hours, or at least that's my experience with the time it takes. If you added it Tuesday, I'd test again sometime this weekend. For that test, you must do it outside, in full bright sunlight with the sun at your back and the long skinny vial held about waist level, add some test solution to the vial and then glance down at it. Just a glance, not a stare. If you can see the dot with just a quick glance, add more of your test solution and glance again. Keep repeating until you either lose sight of the dot with a glance (you'll still see it if you stare), or the vial is full. Lets say you lose sight of it about 1/4 of the way between 20 and 30, this would be read as 30 and you adjust your FC target to 30. Always round up to the next highest mark unless it happens to fall right on a mark. The scale is not linear, so just cuz it looks like 23, doesn't mean it actually is 23, so we err on the side of caution and go to the next higher mark, meaning your FC target will be higher than if you rounded down.

And can you post a full set of test results like this?

FC:
CC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.