edmond,OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all. I’ve read a few threads on here but haven’t quite found an answer. My dog chewed through my “tangle-free” cable so I thought I’d take a look and see if I can splice it. It’s only a year old and probably not covered by warranty for dog chewing. I peeled back the protective coating and it only had a black and white wire and what looked like fiber optics or something. I didn’t think much of it as I thought maybe it’s what helps from the cord getting tangled so I spliced the white and black wires, connected them with splice couplers, heat shrinked, coated with waterproof liquid electric tape, covered it with water proof electrical tape and retapped the blue cable and covered that with waterproof electrical tape. I’ve spliced many of things in my life so I know I did that right. But looking back is the black fiber optic like string stuff need to be connected as well? As the unit did not get power from the main supply.

Thanks

I had a robot at a rent house pool and their dog chewed into the cable... We tried to repair it, but the chewed through place just became the weak spot and the repair only lasted about a week or so..

The tenant had to buy a new cable...

Could be our repair was not good enough... If you try a repair, the repaired spot needs to be pretty stiff..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dude,

It is not the tugging that is the problem, it is the twisting..

The repair becomes the weak point, and as the cable twists, it twists around the repair instead of the swivel..

At least that is what happened to me..

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Same deal. The splice knot would twist with the cable, protecting the splice.

I appreciate all your answers but not one of them had anything to do with my question. I did an online repair/splice to black and white copper wire. No different than hanging a new ceiling fan using wire nuts. Not sure what y’all mean by twisting and pulling. The cleaner isn’t “pulling” the cord. There’s too much length in it. It’s basically just following it. Theres no stress to it. And twisting shouldn’t affect the splice either as the swivel reduces kinking.

I had assumed the chewed part was near the robot, but it sounds like the splice will not be under water.. If so, then I see no problem with the splice.

Dolphin's have two different cables.. One has two wires and one has three. I have never heard of any of their cables having anything else and never heard of a cable with fiber optics...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
+1 I assumed it was underwater also and subject to stress.

I would have assumed the string you mention was for stripping the power cord.

Is there any chance that the dog punctured another spot without it being particularly noticeable ?

I have a Dolphin premier, she died at the end of last season, I am getting a new one now. it would just move back and forth for a second and stop.
power cord, is not bright blue any more has scaring from 3yrs of use, PSU and cable are fine. I will donate any and all parts of the unit, but whom wants the parts has to pay the shipping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here’s a pic of what I’m talking about. Yiu can see the black and white leads. Not an issue but have no idea if this black string stuff is somehow like a fiber optic or something that controls the 1,3 and 6 hour setting.IMG_3713.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my theory was correct. This black string stuff is some sort of fiber optic. I took my splice apart and used a doodad where I could feed the white, black and back fiber in to each of its own ports and my time selectors lit up which they didn’t do before when I didn’t splice rhe fiber optic. Unfortunately I don’t think the connection is quite strong enough to send a signal to the Nautilus. I’m a glutton for punishment so I’m gonna use so high-temp waterproof epoxy to “glue”
The string together as I feed it into its port. There were a lot strings I couldn’t quite fit in.