My user name says it all!

I recently finished my SLAM on a pool as a newbie too! It was a green swamp with frogs and toads galore, but now it is a clean, clear, sparking pool! My daughter wanted a pool party in the end of June and I'm happy we will be able to have one. Despite the 70degree water temp, both of my kids ask to go in the pool every day. It took me 8 days of really staying on it and around 50 gallons of bleach. I tested (about every hour for the first few days) and backwashed a lot. You will learn a lot in a short time and it's nice to have full control over the chemistry once you get it.

JustFillItIn:

First, Welcome to TFP!

I would not use the shock product. It likely either contains CYA or calcium. If it contains CYA, you will add more of that to the pool which you do not need. In addition, it will make the SLAM Process process more difficult since you will need to maintain a higher target FC throughout the SLAM.

If you follow our process properly, your pool will clear up. We've helped thousands of members clear their pools after years of following the traditional pool store method, so yours will not be any exception. You've got this!

d5f8aae401eb0c9e05652829fb9876c2.jpg

Another thing. I remember the first time I went into my local Leslies Pool and had my water tested. After testing my water the jacknuts behind the counter said, "WHOA....the readings say that you need to buy 47 lbs. of shock. So like a moron I did. I didn't dump it all in but I did put in like 15 lbs. I might have well dumped 15 lbs. of horse manure in there. What I didn't realize is that there was tons of stuff in the deep end that I wasn't vacuuming up. So adding chlorine didn't do a darn thing. The algae keep growing cause there was food down there. Do yourself a favor GET IN THE POOL and hand vacuum. It will be much clearer in 24 hours.

No seriously YOU MUST dive in there. Nothings gonna eat you. Also there's a reason why lakes are green. Cause they have algae in them. Do you swim in the lake? Of course silly. Trust me when you dive down you will see that you missed a buttload of stuff. Put on your man pants and get to diving.

I really don't think there is much at all, if anything, on the bottom as far as leaves, stick, ect. I've been brushing, and vac'ing for 12 days. I've gotten a pretty solid "feel" of the pool. I got a bit up when i finally bought the leaf eater, but after an hour or so, it wasnt picking anything up. There have been a few things, but I have been using all three methods and have gotten minimal trash. I think what I'm getting has blown in between routines. I even pulled up a pair of goggles in a pile of leaves from the deep end when I got halfway down the slope.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Soooooo, I'm jumping in on this one too! Love the pics. That is an amazing nuclear green color you have there!

But seriously... Have you actually ordered your kit? I saw you mentioned you knew you needed one... So I think we're all hoping it's on its way.

It sounds like you're doing a really good job of getting the muck out so you'll be in a good position to start your SLAM when your kit comes in.

Stick with it and keep asking questions when you need to! Once you have your kit post those numbers!
Welcome to TFP!

To be honest I'm quite disappointed. I looked at the pool before I left this morning and saw a lot of white in it. is the clearest it has looked so far. The problem is we spent so much money on it we spent money on it that we should have been spending on her party. She even told us last night if you want to postpone the party until it could be a pool party but I just can't afford anymore

Just so you know, I think you are way closer than you think..you've done such a good job getting the **** out...if you would just get the kit so you weren't working blind you could nail this and not look back. The clarity combined with color could mean if not for iron (which if present, can add yellow color to blue to get green appearance) you might be darn near clear right now.

However, In your pool store readings, if at all accurate, your CYA at 97 is going to be a problem, as you've probably read in pool school. So a a series of partial water changes would be in order (eg with vinyl liner, 30% would be safe as long as that leaves a foot or two in shallow end.) that will also help with the iron if your supply water is iron free.

There are a couple of "good" TFP-recommended metal sequestrants that would (in the future) help control the iron and ultimately clear up any water discoloration.

But first, you'd need to address the high CYA, then through testing to know you're finished the slam...because they don't work well with high chlorine.

Post back if you're up for continuing the quest after the party and we'll help you sort it out. You could always give your daughter the TFTkit as a present and tell her you're going to teach her chemistry!;) That way you'd have a pool girl o help out!

The Taylor kit will save you money in a short time. I'm a cheapskate and following the TFP method I have reduced my daily chemical cost from $2+ a day to .24 cents a day.

The steep cost you're absorbing now is from a combination of pool store advice and neglect. Once you have this thing sparkling and maintain it, your costs will decline rapidly.

This really is a frustrating example of how pool stores don't really help people. Just take their money, with no direction or education. Of course, if they really educated you, they would lose you as a customer. People play their role as well, but it's unfortunate. I'm really sorry to hear this.

Take it from a fellow TFP member who (last year) was literally hosing-out his filter every day and spending tons of $$ looking for the magic cure as advised by local pool store. Stick with the test kit recommended by these folks and stock-up on your liquid bleach. Bleach is your new best friend. Maintenance time and $$ will go down, and fun will go way up.... as it should be :) The only time I go into a pool store now if to buy liquid shock (bleach) or a toy/accessory for our pool. Best of luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.