My test kit is here!

Make sure that any parts at the back of the light fitting that can be unscrewed/unclipped off are taken off and thoroughly brushed (an old toothbrush works wonders).

Also the skimmer door (front, back and sides) and the inside of the skimmer box (and the clip on casing at the front of the skimmer box). Finally unscrew the return jets eyeball housing cover and scrub around the thread and all around the cover itself. If you have any ladders- they should also be taken out and scrubbed.

It seems like a lot but can be the make or break of the SLAM- so definitely good to at least eliminate all possible hiding spots.

Right I've removed the light and there is algae growing inside. The light is very old and hasn't been used for years. We don't know where the switch is and nor do the previous owners so we have no idea if it's live or not - but given that there was water in the lantern and its completely rusted I assume it's not connected (I hope it's not!!).

Is there an easy and non-dangerous way to know whether it's live?

I guess we need an electrician to come and find the transformer for the lamp...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right, apart from a brief drop to 11 I've kept the FC above 12 for the last six hours. I've taken the light out and scrubbed various bits around the pool (can't unscrew one of the return jets though - any tips?). I've just raised to 15 for the night so we'll see what happens.

I'm home tomorrow but I need to go out the day after - how do you keep going with the SLAM when you have to leave the house?!

Also, I just read this: Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.

Erm, I've been adding it in front of the return jets but not at all slowly - does this matter??

As far as the light goes it could be that the gasket has worn and allowed water into the actual light. Whether it is beyond redemption is another thing and if it is old it could be time to consider a new light?? But at the moment while you are completing your SLAM, I would just leave it out of the water. But one way or the other you do need to try and locate the switch and sort the light out, however it should be fine (maybe just not functional)!

It's best to pour bleach slowly to avoid splashing it either onto yourself or your clothes and it allows it to mix more effectively and avoid concentrations of bleach in a certain spot. A good strategy is to alternate between your return jets.

It can be tough when you have to work etc, so you just have to do the best you can making additions and testing as often as possible but if you are home tomorrow just really hit it hard and keep it above 12 FC.

Oh and use a strap wrench (available from Bunnings from around $10) to loosen off the return jet cover- they are very useful when you have a pool!

Good signs though- keep up the good fight!!!

We emailed the company who made the light - they don't make it any more so we'd be looking at a full replacement anyway.

I did my last test at 10pm last night and it was FC 14, CC 0. At 8.30 this morning it was FC 8.5 and CC <0.5.

I'm still losing the same amount of FC overnight. The pool water looks amazing but I can't keep the FC up. Is this normal on night 3? What is eating my chlorine? Maybe it's from removing the light yesterday? Should I consider backwashing?

I haven't managed to remove the ladder yet - there are metal things over where I think the bolts are and I cannot work out how to get them up. The ladder has one step and then some holes in the metal bit underwater where I assume you could put a second rung but it wasn't needed. I wonder if this the problem?

The ladder needs to come off doesn't it? So I can see if that affects the FC.

Those are more than likely escutcheon plates. They just slide up and will expose an approx 10mm screw that tightens a compression fitting. This fitting holds your ladder in. Just try lifting it up. If you have issues post a pic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ideally it would be easier to get the ladder out but if it is too difficult then just scrub it thoroughly- at least it's warm enough to get in the pool and do it.

Your overnight loss indicates that there is still a fair bit of algae chewing through your chlorine and yes this is normal-despite the fact that your water can be clear.

Now that you know that the light was harbouring algae, taking it out will help move things along as well but as I mentioned earlier eliminating all those other classic algae hiding spots through brushing and scrubbing will allow you to get on top of it.

Have you got a clearer idea of when the pressure gauge is going to arrive?

My husband is going to try and get the ladder out today. If we can get the escutcheon plates up (Thanks for the new vocab Wheels007!) we can take it from there. The ladder has been there for years and if it has algae inside I'm not sure how we would clean it.

The gauge was posted yesterday but today is a public holiday so it should arrive tomorrow or the day after.

Today is hot and windy and the palm tree next to the pool is releasing millions of tiny plant tendrils all over the garden - perfect conditions for slamming a pool!

Hmmnnn that's odd. I've never seen a pool ladder that couldn't be removed before... I'm sure you have already but have to ask the question. Did you try to scratch around a bit just to be sure it's not packed with sand? Again I'm sure you have just can't believe your ladder isn't removable.

http://commercialpool.com/images/products/detail/Anchorwedge.jpg

Sometimes these are mounted slightly below the level of the deck and can fill with crud.

Getting a new rung for your ladder is probably your best fix for the holes but be forewarned they can be inexplicably expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.