My Superflo VST is a mess inside

Never saw the Jandy valve. Pull lid, remove the stem from the lid. You will find 2 "O" rings. Remove them, clean the stem, put pool lube on the stem, put rings back on, small amount of lube on rings again, 2 wraps of teflon tape over that. Carefully remove the lid "O" ring, clean the lid, lube the lid and replace the ring. Reassemble, do not use a power screwdriver. If it doesn't solve the problem at least you know it isn't the problem. You can get new rings for that valve, doesn't matter which brand, they're all the same on modern valves.
Do not over tighten the screws, that's old plastic. Use the grease on the lid to hold the ring in place, it can drop out of place and be damaged if the lid is tightened against it. Don't use so much grease that it squeezes out, that is just messy and a waste. Took longer to write this than to do it.

Reactions: newdude
Man you weren’t kidding about the old plastic. Two of the screws won’t tighten. Three have broken off parts of the loops on the lid that hold the screws. And tightening the top nut that holds the handle to the stem, it snapped off too. Time to get new parts for that too.

But I did what you outlined. Gonna see if it primes now.

844F49E7-A354-482B-818C-5819EDB8ADD7.jpeg
8C928B57-1DEC-44D1-A424-2F9C22053025.jpeg
0498F8AC-256F-41AC-A0F0-61BA6538F917.jpeg

Work looks good, but if the lid won't tighten the pump will never prime and may be the cause of the damage you have. If by some weird chance you get it to prime it will still be a massive suction leak. Need to replace that valve. Sorry.

Work looks good, but if the lid won't tighten the pump will never prime and may be the cause of the damage you have. If by some weird chance you get it to prime it will still be a massive suction leak. Need to replace that valve. Sorry.
The screws that are stripped are not next to each other, so I’m hoping the other ones hold the lid tight. But either way I’ll replace it. It’s tight in to the elbows next to it, so I guess I have to cut in below that and replace the elbow too?

image.jpg

The screws that are stripped are not next to each other, so I’m hoping the other ones hold the lid tight. But either way I’ll replace it. It’s tight in to the elbows next to it, so I guess I have to cut in below that and replace the elbow too?

View attachment 416004
Yes. And you need to replace with another Jandy brand valve. The dimensions of valve bodies aren't the same. As tight as that plumbing is another brand may not fit. New valve, two 90's, some 1.5" pipe, and three of these (below)will make the job easier. Small can of blue pvc cement.
Custom Molded Extender Pipe 1-1-2in. | Leslie's Pool Supplies{16623511817}_{}_{}&utm_term={69635}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could try using one of these?
Somebody just successfully used one a few weeks back, but its escaping me who at the moment.

What about moving the valve a hair closer to the pump and then two 45s to hit the down pipes. It might give you more room for error once the new valve is glued.

Somebody just successfully used one a few weeks back, but its escaping me who at the moment.

What about moving the valve a hair closer to the pump and then two 45s to hit the down pipes. It might give you more room for error once the new valve is glued.
Not following what you mean. Can’t picture it…

If you have 2 pipes that don't quite line up for a 90, you can twist two 45s to fit the difference. What sucks about the project here is that if you cut/glue and are a hair off, the valve is ruined too. I'll buy replacement elbows all day. I'm a bit more careful with $85 valves.

I could try using one of these?

Jones Stephens Corp J44-150 Jones Stephens 1-1/2" Ram Bit Socket Saver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HE9YS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7HCGKW9PCQ9YD1HCKM2W
Not sure where you would use it. You can't save the valve as the body is stripped. No point in trying to save the 90's. Moving the pump would be easier and eliminate the need for the pipe extenders. Didn't see that the pump was on bricks.
That being said, Rambits work well if you go slow. Too fast and you will damage the fitting beyond repair and overheat the cutter and bend it. They also ream the socket straight. PVC fittings and valve sockets are tapered. Takes extra glue to make a joint that doesn't leak. Been using them for years.

Reactions: IceShadow
Screenshot_20220527-212630_Chrome.jpg

These two pipes don't line up perfect for a 90, so they used two 45s with a short piece between them to make them line up. That new valve needs to be dead on level in two directions at the perfect distance over the suction pipes.

If you cant get it to line up at the dry fit, consider 45s.

Reactions: IceShadow
Not sure where you would use it. You can't save the valve as the body is stripped. No point in trying to save the 90's. Moving the pump would be easier and eliminate the need for the pipe extenders. Didn't see that the pump was on bricks.
That being said, Rambits work well if you go slow. Too fast and you will damage the fitting beyond repair and overheat the cutter and bend it. They also ream the socket straight. PVC fittings and valve sockets are tapered. Takes extra glue to make a joint that doesn't leak. Been using them for years.
My wife said I should just buy a new union and use the half on the bottom for the pipe going up from the pump.
Is this the plate you are looking for? View attachment 416068
sadly no, but thank you. That’s for the older model. I need a 356071.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.