My Pool-ventures :)

Is your FC really 23.5? That's 47 drops, IIRC.

Can you smell the chlorine across the yard?

When FC is that high, I would assume the algae (the green) is dead and white powdery debris in the pool that sinks slowly and makes the pool a milky blue color if the water is stirred up.

If you have clear and green, i would start to wonder if you have copper. Do you have green rings around the faucets in the house? (this is assuming you filled the pool with the same water as in the house.)

techguy said:
Is your FC really 23.5? That's 47 drops, IIRC..)
Yes it is that high. Maybe a couple points higher.

techguy said:
Can you smell the chlorine across the yard?
Not that I notice :) But I was using the smell test, while I wanted for my actual chlorine test to arrive. (Towards the end I was just indiscriminately adding a gallon of 8.25%, and no, no one has been allowed in the pool yet)

techguy said:
When FC is that high, I would assume the algae (the green) is dead and white powdery debris in the pool that sinks slowly and makes the pool a milky blue color if the water is stirred up.
Each day I notice a small amount of brownish debris on the bottom of the pool. I assume it to be dead algae, and I've been vacuuming it out. I wonder if the algae is in suspension in the water and just has to fall out.

I haven't noticed any copper stains, mostly rust stains. I filled the pool with softened water from the house.

Brownish debris is likely to be leaves or flower blooms if you can see it on the bottom of the pool. This implies to me you have clear water except for the brownish stuff on the floor? (I cant read the other comments from earlier)

CL level that high (with low CYA) should render the algae white very quickly.

linen said:
Just to confirm, was the swg off during the OCLT?

Great question! And yes it was off. In fact, I haven't plugged it in yet. I'm waiting for my FC to get down to some what of a normal level. I know I need to unhook the copper bars, but is there any way to know if it is working, except for monitoring FC? Thanks

I've been reading in the Pool School in preparation for firing up my SWG. It says to take the CYA up to 70-80. I'm a little hesitant to do that until I know that the unit works and is going to be reliable. Also I noticed that the TA should be in the 70-80 range. I need to do another full round of tests today, but should I lower my TA before I do anything else. Or I guess I should say that I'm wondering what my next step should be:
- Fire up SWG
- Lower TA
- Increase CYA

Thanks

P.S. My wife says we're the real deal now that we have our solar cover. I don't have the heart to tell her it's probably not going to heat the pool like she thinks it will :)

denniston said:
I've been reading in the Pool School in preparation for firing up my SWG. It says to take the CYA up to 70-80. I'm a little hesitant to do that until I know that the unit works and is going to be reliable. Also I noticed that the TA should be in the 70-80 range. I need to do another full round of tests today, but should I lower my TA before I do anything else. Or I guess I should say that I'm wondering what my next step should be:
- Fire up SWG
- Lower TA
- Increase CYA

Thanks

P.S. My wife says we're the real deal now that we have our solar cover. I don't have the heart to tell her it's probably not going to heat the pool like she thinks it will :)
If your TA is really 350, I'd work that down some now, because once the SWG kicks on, pH will be climbing. With a caveat: repeat the TA test, wiping the tip of the R-009 bottle with a damp paper towel before each drop. You might have static electricity giving a false high reading. Also note if FC is really high, the colors will go from green>pink to blue>yellow. The shift is the key, not the shade.

Is CYA still 35? At least take it to 50 or the SWG won't be able to keep up and you'll think it's a bum unit.

Finally, after two weeks my FC level is down to 4-4.5. With my CYA being ~25, the chart says my target FC is 4. Since I'm basically there now, should I take it up to 6. Basically what I'm thinking is letting the FC bounce back and forth between 4-6. At least until I get a chance to mess with the SWG.

denniston said:
Finally, after two weeks my FC level is down to 4-4.5. With my CYA being ~25, the chart says my target FC is 4. Since I'm basically there now, should I take it up to 6. Basically what I'm thinking is letting the FC bounce back and forth between 4-6. At least until I get a chance to mess with the SWG.
That's what us jug-dumpers do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.