My Pool Store Now Charges to Test Water

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
I am SLAMMING and wanted a second opinion of CYA before starting the test. Thread here.

Went down to the local SO MD pool store and found they are charging $10 to test the water, unless you buy something. Tough times I guess....So, I figured I'd buy a gallon of 31.25 Muriatic Acid....and was SHOCKED AT THE PRICE: $15.90. One gallon. I'm not sure how much longer we can get by with these non-stop price accelerations. Geez.

HOW MUCH ARE YOU PAYING AND WHERE FOR MURIATIC ACID? We are sort of in the middle of a fairly low population density...not a lot of Big Box Stores within 25 miles.....Thanks

Last year I was paying $10/gallon for 31% MA at my local pool store. I have not gone in yet to see this years prices.

$9.99 at Ace hardware. They also have an $11 one.

Before finding that last year, I tried the paint store that rhymes with Herman Billiams. It was $27.99 for full strength. I guess not terribly worse than big orange and big blue with $13 half strength, but still pretty bad.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I believe my pool store tracks your spending at the store. They offer free testing but if you don't buy the necessary chemicals indicated on the tests, they can charge you for the test.

Any pool store will tire of you testing daily, as you should, without spending an appropriate amount per test.

In a way, I don't hold that against them. Only the 'free test for $79' part.