My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

Your bleach could be weak. After your next test and adding chlorine wait 30 mins and test again to see if it hit 16. If not then your bleach/chlorine is weak and you will have to tweak the strength %.

When I was doing my SLAM it was recommended I do that. I waited 4 days or so before doing it and discovered my chlorine was not full strength. It was actually about 1/2 it strength. I changed my percent to 6% and then tested again 30 mins after the add and it was finally reaching my SLAM target.

Your bleach could be weak. After your next test and adding chlorine wait 30 mins and test again to see if it hit 16. If not then your bleach/chlorine is weak and you will have to tweak the strength %.

When I was doing my SLAM it was recommended I do that. I waited 4 days or so before doing it and discovered my chlorine was not full strength. It was actually about 1/2 it strength. I changed my percent to 6% and then tested again 30 mins after the add and it was finally reaching my SLAM target.

This is a good post.
Another thing is with high CC's you could be fighting ammonia, which will consume your chlorine rapidly.

This is a good post.
Another thing is with high CC's you could be fighting ammonia, which will consume your chlorine rapidly.

While that does occur sometimes, this is clearly not a case of Ammonia. Those have extremely HIGH and very rapid FC comsumption always accompanied by extremely high CC. There is nothing here to indicate that Ammonia is present.

Ok, will do as soon as I get home. Had to run errands and out to eat with my wife! Thanks again! I'll post when I get back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your welcome!

Ok.. just tested....

FC 16.4
CC 2.6

So... do I not add any chlorine and just retest in a little while? Also, when I go to bed for the night, if it's still at 16, knowing I won't be testing until the morning, should I add some for the overnight, if so, how much?

When I'm testing I seem to get more accurate results when using the 25ml. than the 10ml. The couple of times I've tested with 10ml. my readings seem to be low. And Im using the right calculations.

Thanks!!!!!!

Correct. Do not add right now. When you test before bed only add if it is below 16.

You may want to order more reagent if you are using the 25 ml. You will go through more using 25ml than 10 ml.

I've already ordered some, hopefully it will be here before I run out. Should there be any difference in using the 10ml to the 25ml?

I'm going to go test again now and see if it's changed and if there is a big difference using 10ml. this time.

Ok, just tested using 10ml. and now it shows:
FC - 11
CC - 5

My numbers have been lower every time I've used the 10ml. I'm sure I'm doing it correctly. Filling to 10ml. adding 2 scoops of R-0870 DPD Powder, shaking.. turns pink, adding drops of R-0871 and counting until it turns clear. Multiplying by 0.5
That is correct right? Only difference is on 25ml. is multiplying by 0.2 correct? Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Don't use the 25 mL on this. It is more accurate but completely overkill in that regard. You'll use way more reagent than you need too. Use the 10mL, and just one big healthy scoop. You don't need to use two.

Ok, just tested using 10ml. and now it shows:
FC - 11
CC - 5

My numbers have been lower every time I've used the 10ml. I'm sure I'm doing it correctly. Filling to 10ml. adding 2 scoops of R-0870 DPD Powder, shaking.. turns pink, adding drops of R-0871 and counting until it turns clear. Multiplying by 0.5
That is correct right? Only difference is on 25ml. is multiplying by 0.2 correct? Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I think the only reason your numbers are lower is because the organic matter is consuming the chlorine so fast. The only difference between the 10mL and 25mL samples is the multiplier (and precision). I would only use the 25mL to check for the OCLT when you need to be very precise.

Are you swirling the solution after every drop of R-0871? Also, make sure you have enough water so that the bottom of the meniscus is at the 10mL mark.

Don't use the 25 mL on this. It is more accurate but completely overkill in that regard. You'll use way more reagent than you need too. Use the 10mL, and just one big healthy scoop. You don't need to use two.

Ok, Thanks for the tip. One last question for today.... I have an automatic inline Chlorinator, should I be putting tablets in there or not yet?

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I think the only reason your numbers are lower is because the organic matter is consuming the chlorine so fast. The only difference between the 10mL and 25mL samples is the multiplier (and precision). I would only use the 25mL to check for the OCLT when you need to be very precise.

Are you swirling the solution after every drop of R-0871? Also, make sure you have enough water so that the bottom of the meniscus is at the 10mL mark.

Yes, I'm swirling, shaking it after every drop. I'll make sure I have the menisucs at the 10ml. mark next time.

No you shouldn't be putting the pucks in as it will increase your Cya level, and hence a requirement for a higher shock FC level. You can leave room for Cya increase later, and use that when you won't be around a few days to manually dose chlorine. Later...when things are back to normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.