My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

Just keep pounding it Teerump, that and what you are doing sweeping and vac'ing will get you there. Honestly, as Black as it looked at the start, this is going pretty well.

Thank you, you guys have been extremely helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

They will not let you fall below.They want to swim...lol

I know they can handle it!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question. There's a lot of silt as some have called it or algae in the seams on the bottom. I vacuumed twice each day the last 2 days while I was home. My wife said there's quite a bit of it again today. I had my daughter get in and check to make sure it wasn't sand. She said it didn't feel like sand, it was slimy and she couldn't pick it up.
I'm attempting to tell me son how to vacuum, should I vacuum to waste? Is this algae too fine to be captured by the filter and just getting dumped back into the pool?

If you can get away with replacing the water you vac out, it sounds like vacuum to waste would be a good idea at least once or twice to get the bulk of it. Also, you could try using skimmer socks and brushing it thoroughly to stir it up. I did that but I had to change the sock every half hour or so the first day because of all the algae goop that was collecting on the sock.

Got all the stuff on the bottom vacuumed. I vacuumed to waste so hopefully that stuff is gone for good! I put in DE in the filter to hopefully catch any last bits of **** in there.

I can see the entire bottom of the pool now! Adding some water now since I lost a few inches during the vacuum. Should I test my CYA since I've had to add water?

I'll post a pic later this afternoon of the pool and my readings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. I can't say for sure, but if I had to guess I would say by this weekend if not sooner. Have you tried a OLCT to see if you pass overnight loss?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

- - - Updated - - -

Did you add DE to the filter? It will help clear it faster. Just have to add more if you have to backwash.

Today is the first day it's been this clear, to me it still looks a little cloudy in the deep end. I did ad DE to the filter. Within 30 mins. my pressure was up 7 psi. I backwashed and added some more.

- - - Updated - - -

On the OCLT test, do I wait just until it's dark, or just when there's no direct sunlight on the pool?

Today is the first day it's been this clear, to me it still looks a little cloudy in the deep end. I did ad DE to the filter. Within 30 mins. my pressure was up 7 psi. I backwashed and added some more.

- - - Updated - - -

On the OCLT test, do I wait just until it's dark, or just when there's no direct sunlight on the pool?

If it still looks hazy then you have a little ways to go, but very close.
OLCT do your last add for the day/ evening around the time it gets dark. Then an hour later test FC, but do not add. Then in the morning as the sun is coming up prior to any direct sunlight hitting the pool test FC again. You have to lose 1ppm or less to pass.

Didn't do the OLCT test yet. Planning on tonight. Water looks very clear, had alot of rain last night, I need to vacuum again, but otherwise the water looks great. Assuming I pass the OLCT test, then is it just a matter of letting the chlorine level drop on it's own? And safe to swim is once it's below Shock level for my CYA correct?

Once you pass all the criteria for the SLAM you can safely swim at any FC below SLAM level for your CYA. Don't run a full set of tests until FCis below 10. Then test PH and FC daily. CYA once a month and all other tests once a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.