My pool is frozen

Mar 7, 2014
McKinney, TX
We are into day 3 of a terrible freeze. I drained and covered the equipment so I hope that I'm good there. We have been without power for mostly 3 days now. We get an hour every 12 hours or so. We were going to just run the pumps 24-7, but after almost 24 hours of no power, we realized the mistake. I've been waiting for power to make this post. Do I need to try to break up the ice on top. It's about 2-3 inches thick in most places. Our temp is not supposed to get above freezing for 4 more days.... Yes, we're in TEXAS! We don't know what to do. Please advise.

We are into day 3 of a terrible freeze. I drained and covered the equipment so I hope that I'm good there. We have been without power for mostly 3 days now. We get an hour every 12 hours or so. We were going to just run the pumps 24-7, but after almost 24 hours of no power, we realized the mistake. I've been waiting for power to make this post. Do I need to try to break up the ice on top. It's about 2-3 inches thick in most places. Our temp is not supposed to get above freezing for 4 more days.... Yes, we're in TEXAS! We don't know what to do. Please advise.
There is a lot of info in the Everything thread but it sounds like you’ve done what you can. Most are saying not to worry about breaking up the ice. However, if you have a torn up pool noodle or even a plastic bottle (some fill with pool or RV antifreeze 1/2 way...some use a few rocks to partially submerge it), you could wedge them in the skimmers for added protection when they ice up. The noodles/bottles absorb some of the ice expansion.

I’m in the same boat. I can walk across my pool, or at least the tanning ledge without any cracking or movement. I figure trying to bust that up is not worth the effort.
I am worried about my skimmer, even with a water bottle and pool noodle in there. At this point, I think the damage is already done (if any) and it’s just a waiting game.

I’m in the same boat. I can walk across my pool, or at least the tanning ledge without any cracking or movement. I figure trying to bust that up is not worth the effort.
I am worried about my skimmer, even with a water bottle and pool noodle in there. At this point, I think the damage is already done (if any) and it’s just a waiting game.
Right there with you. I’ve already ordered replacement parts for things that I know were broken as we drained everything in a panic (heater plug, valve assembly, and at least one backflow valve that was faulty before all of this mess). Just hoping for the best and we’ll see what the damage is (or isn’t 😬) when we thaw out next week. Just not looking forward to the cleanup. My tent and blankets are currently frozen to the ground/pad and the grass around the pad will be a muddy mess. Not to mention my poor floors inside. I gave up cleaning the tile floors with all of the boot tracks in and out of the house. Crazy week.

JJ, forgot to ask...did your travertine tile lift at all? We have lifting and sinking all over the place due to the freezing. Glad it’s not concrete but it will have to be reset.

We have lifting and sinking all over the place due to the freezing.
It’s called frost heave and it can be a real headache. This just keeps sucking even more everytime you guys get to learn something new that you should have lived blissfully unaware of.

When the ground freezes it swells upward. In places that are regularly cold it can happen over and over each winter. Any patios, deck posts, mailboxes, etc can be repositioned more than people would like. Deck footings and house foundations are dug below the frost line to overcome the movement. I’m interested to see if this storm modifies any local code depths or if they chalk it up to ‘won’t happen again’. It wouldn’t matter either way for the patio.

Reactions: PaigeMark
JJ, forgot to ask...did your travertine tile lift at all? We have lifting and sinking all over the place due to the freezing. Glad it’s not concrete but it will have to be reset.
Holy Crud, no, at least not that I have noticed. It has snow on top of it, but I pretty much walked all over it all day yesterday and didnt notice anything sticking up.

Reactions: PaigeMark
Holy Crud, no, at least not that I have noticed. It has snow on top of it, but I pretty much walked all over it all day yesterday and didnt notice anything sticking up.
Good. Last year we had one tile lift but it settled nicely. I’m not thinking it’s gonna work out that well this year. Trying to look on the bright side...we can make a few changes we’d like to make in the process of fixing everything.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.