My Pool is a Swamp

:cheers: I bet you will be on Richard's inspiration page with all of your hard work!

Now lets get started! Get a net and start scooping! Do you have any high school kids around that need to earn a buck? Pay them to scoop! Better than working out in the gym!

Kim:cat:

O EM GEE!! I'm subscribing! At first, I actually thought it was a putting green. Personally, I actually get a bit bored because nothing every goes wrong with my water (knock on wood) since I found these wonderful folks here so many years ago. Do what they say and you'll be back on track in no time. But most important of all...keep the pictures coming!!! Welcome to the best site on the web!

Wow, if you had started this project a month ago you probably could have gotten 2 feet of free water from the sky. The experts here will get you swimming in no time as long as listen, learn, and are diligent. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a close-up photo of the water to show the bright green (algae?) floating on top. They're like tiny little plants. I suppose that's why it looks greener than your average pool. I haven't skimmed it off yet because that's what's supposed to be keeping the water from being a mosquito breeding ground. Unfortunately with all the rain, the mosquitos have plenty of other places to choose from. So true about getting free water for the pool from the rain. Had I only known it was even possible to bring it back I could've tried that.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

So the results are in (if I did this right)

Cl .5
Br 1
pH 6.8
CH 150ppm
TA 120
CYA <20 (possibly zero)

I used the recommended Taylor TF-100 Kit with the Taylor SpeedStir (handy little gadget). The pool water itself is surprisingly clear when I dipped it out, with the exception of the floating algae, which remained on top. I know you all have said the water can be turned back to clear, but I believe my bigger problem is the residue on the bottom. I've been trying to scoop but it's much too heavy for my net. We're talking years of leaves and debris settled in there. I believe the only way to really get that out is to fully drain the pool, let the debris dry out and then shovel it out. Am I correct in that thinking, or is there another way? I don't have a pool vac and I think there's too much for one to handle anyway. Thanks ahead of time for reading and replying.

Others can comment better on shoveling it out, vs. vacuuming it out. I know it's important to keep the plaster wet other than brief periods to avoid further deterioration.

As far as testing, you can ignore bromine, the tester just has both scales. The pH should be raised to protect the plaster; 6.8 is low and the tester only goes down to 6.8 so it may be much lower. Raise the pH to 7.2 with borax or soda ash (see pool math and pool school, recommended chemicals) to protect the plaster.

There may be other tools you can use to get the debris out. I'll ask someone more experienced and hopefully some more experienced people will come along with some ideas or methods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've recovered a foreclosure swamp and its very hard work scooping. In my case, I couldn't drain due to water table. If your water table is high, give this a try...it saves the back a little: Amazon.com : Universal Leaf Gulper Pool Vacuum : Swimming Pool Pressure Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden its cheap and works with a garden hose that helps push the debris into te net. Still have to lift it out, but less frequently ;)

However, if you're safe to drain, consider renting a trash pump. That's the fastest way to get the gunk off the bottom. Then you can add fresh water and do more of a "shorter" slam and get swimming sooner ;) Just my .02 - my pool is a personal testament to the TFP SLAM method, but in terms of labor with debris, in your shoes I'd use a trash pump without any hesitation whatsoever ;)

You can help preserve the plaster by wetting it down while you drain, AND you can also keep fill water running as you drain because the pump is getting the bottom stuff.

I did see that leaf gulper on Amazon and thought about getting it. I'll go ahead and put in the order. Also, I'll try and find out about the trash pump. I forgot to put the FC, which is of course zero. I still have a lot of studying to do on this site. I appreciate all the help and suggestions so far. With my work schedule I'm afraid it's going to be a slow-go.

Last week, we worked on a pool that looked about like that one... one of the men working with me was using a scoop net to clear some debris off the bottom. He got a really big/heavy scoop - when he got it out, we noticed it looked a little strange... it wasn't leaves, but a dead dog :uhh:. You never know what treasures lurk beneath the depths of a nasty pools. Good luck with it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.