My Pentair Warrior SI stopped working!!!

newbie_pool

Oct 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

We purchased our Warrior SI from Marina pool almost 3 years ago and now it stopped working. Basically, it worked back and forth for a little bit and then stopped running. We installed this Prowler app to our phone to remotely run the robot and when we looked into the app, it displayed Technical Error out of water. For the first couple times, I can just click on reset and it will resume the cleaning but lately it does not seem to work anymore.

Since our cleaner is out of warranty, I'm hoping to troubleshoot first to see if I can fix it ourselves before I get professional repair and get charged arm and leg for that. It's a little disappointed to see this cleaner broke as soon as we run out of warranty. We did:
1. Checked impeller, everything looks clean
2. Checked drive wheels and gears and everything look normal as nothing seems to be worn out or out of place. What else can I do to test if wheels and gears are working properly? What do I need to look for?
3. Motor? How do I check?

Any other suggestions on what else I can troubleshoot this cleaner? Thanks.

N,

Did you actually remove the impeller and look underneath?

The robot does a self test when you first turn it on and when it fails the tests it just stops.

There is not much you can fix yourself and they generally are not worth fixing when they fail.

About the only thing, that I would recommend after three years would be to replace the "wheel kits".. The robot does not have actual bearings, it just has close fitting plastic. After a while this plastic wears out and causes too much resistance for the drive motor to overcome and still pass the self tests.

Looks like they are out of stock... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

N,

Did you actually remove the impeller and look underneath?

The robot does a self test when you first turn it on and when it fails the tests it just stops.

There is not much you can fix yourself and they generally are not worth fixing when they fail.

About the only thing, that I would recommend after three years would be to replace the "wheel kits".. The robot does not have actual bearings, it just has close fitting plastic. After a while this plastic wears out and causes too much resistance for the drive motor to overcome and still pass the self tests.

Looks like they are out of stock... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't actually remove the impeller, I just open enough to see the impeller to make sure there is nothing stuck there. So I assume I can just turn on the robot and see if the impeller is running?
Since the wheel kit is out of stock, how can I tell if my current ones are worn out? Are these considered bad already? Everything else seems to fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 12
Put the plastic bearing into the wheel hub and see how much slop there is.

Also, you can turn on the robot while out of water to see if the impeller spins up but don't let it run too long that way. I just did that on mine and something was prevent the impeller from spinning and had the same symptoms. Once I cleared the shaft, it started working again.

Put the plastic bearing into the wheel hub and see how much slop there is.

Also, you can turn on the robot while out of water to see if the impeller spins up but don't let it run too long that way. I just did that on mine and something was prevent the impeller from spinning and had the same symptoms. Once I cleared the shaft, it started working again do they
Do these look ok? I don’t see any slop but once again, I might not know what I am looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 11
N,

You can't just "look" at the impeller and see if it is working or not.. String, or like objects, can get stuck under the impeller and make the impeller hard to turn.. It will still turn, but use too much current which will make the robot fail its self-tests.

You have to take the impeller off. This may, or may not, be your problem, but you need to do the work to know for sure.

Robots can pass their self tests out of the water and fail when in the water...

In Mark's picture above, the slop is between the large grey wheel and the smaller white 'bearing'..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have no idea what to expect here. Does this mean something? Should it run continuously? I first turned out and it seems like it runs for about 20 seconds or so and then stop.

Is the wheel motor turning at all?

Forgot to mention that usually when the bearing wear out, the unit does not shut off but looks like it is trying to move but the gears just keep slipping.

Here is my second attempt to turn on, this time the impeller does not spin anymore. I can see the wheel spinning back and forth. So is our impeller gone bad?

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remove the shroud and look under the impeller blades for any debris.

Spin the impeller by had and see if there is any resistance.

I've had a similar problem with my robot only running for a few minutes. Resetting the motor helped solve that for me. Here's Maytronics video about how to do that.

Your impeller motor should sound perfectly “clean” and make three distinct high pitched sounds (slow, med, high speeds). Your impeller sounds like it’s hitting the directional flow control and it doesn’t sound like it’s making distinct speed changes. It sounds like it’s laboring.

Pull the motor assembly and carefully open it up. My guess is the impeller motor bearings are shot. You’ll know right away if there has been water incursion.

Thank you all for all the suggestion. After taking the impeller apart and did some cleaner, it seems the impeller can spin now after several tests. I tried a few time more and see how it is under the water. Everything else check so hope for the best.

Reactions: mas985
Hi, I just want to follow up on this to see if anyone came across similar issue. At first, I thought it is working again, however, it ran for line few minutes and stop. We have to use the Prowler app to run manually then it works but we have to stand around there and manuaver the robot around the pool. What could be possible the issue here? It’s not like impeller/motor or something else is not working properly because I can use manual option to run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.