My Outdoor Fireplace build...

That is really great, and you burn real wood in it too! I came very very close to building something similar (but less impressive) a couple years ago, but decided we wanted to be able to sit all around it. We ended up buying a nice thick steel fire ring, but when the wind blows you can't sit all around it anyway.

I suggested the fire ring idea to the wife prior to building this monster and she shot it down. She wanted something big enough so at least 6-8 people could enjoy confortability, and if there was a slight breeze smoke would be minimal. You see what I ended up with.

Great looking fireplace, nice job! Thanks for the thread its helped convince me I can do this on my own (hopefully). So I just ordered the same plans and will start to build when the weather warms up; within the next few months. I noticed in the plans there is no offset inside of the chimney. It's a straight shot up. Have you had any problems with down drafts, smoke coming out of the front of the fireplace? If so is it much? Thanks again.

Well it staggers up to the center. You will see when you get the plans. If you PM me your address I will send you mine. If there is no breeze outside you sometimes get a bit of smoke out of the front. But you don't sit on top of it so its no issue. Even the smoke that comes out of the front is really nothing to speak of. Really happy with it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice! I have plans for a fireplace myself in the backyard in the future and this is really getting me thinking of tackling it myself. Mine will be a gas fireplace though (gas line will already be in place and stubbed out), I wonder if there are plans for gas fireplaces on that site, I have to check it out.

I'm in Phoenix as well. :)

Honestly I have never layed brick an mortar before. I have done plenty of tile work and I consider myself pretty handy. It was a pretty big project, but something someone a bit handy couldn't take care of if they have enough time, patenice and someone to lend a hand. I made a few mistakes building mine, but Stucco and tile cover up your errors lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.