My local Thin Bleach is <5% Sodium Hydroxide is that OK?

SJSwimmer said:
Though I'm away from home, it REALLY seems like all those Clorox containers say something like "<6%" as well, possibly because if it degrades over time that's all they can guarantee?
As shown in the chart at the bottom of this page the half-life of chlorine at 5% at 75ºF (24ºC) is 1147 days or over 3 years. Essentially, low concentrations of bleach kept at room temperature take a long time to degrade. Here in the U.S. Clorox Regular says 6% as do many off-brand Ultra bleaches.

It is certainly possible that Clorox decided to make only weaker bleaches in the U.K., but they certainly didn't have to do that.

Also, there are quite a few manufacturers of chlorinating liquid at 10% and 12.5%. In Europe, Purex is one such brand of higher concentration chlorinating liquid. In the U.K., Tesco seems to use the vague "< 5%" approach. This link implies that you can buy the more concentrated chlorinating liquid at pool stores so you should compare that pricing against the far weaker bleach available in other stores.

Hi Langey (and everyone),

Sorry about coming late to this thread, I'm not a regular visitor during the winter months. I had exectly the same problem: decided to use bleach instead of tabs, assumed that <5% meant 5%, ended up with a green pool. I use Tesco bleach which I have roughly tested by dilution to be around 2% Sodium Hypochlorite. That's fine once you know what the strength is. I usually add two x 2 litre bottles twice a week on a 11,000 UK gallon pool (we don't get so much sun here). During the season that is.

I find that using Tesco (or similar) bleach is, % for %, cheaper than the stronger liquids available from pool stores. I would far sooner use a larger quantity of weak bleach than struggle with a large container of more potentially harmful stronger bleach.

Hi all,

Just started experimenting with bleach this past couple of weeks, things are a little different here in the UK as Kes says, household bleach is sold at <5% Sodium Hypochlorite. So to add onto the list ASDA bleach seems to be WELL below this level (may be <2%?). I will try and test several types and post back here after putting a few ml's into a bucket of water.

I have just spent £23 on 20 litres of 14/15% this morning in a pool shop, this is probably expensive but if you only buy one container shipping is pricey here.

Afterwards I had a little dig round and found that what I should have done is bought a product called "Red Label Hypo" it's used in the dairy industry but the data sheet here http://www.johnsondiversey.com/wcmt/ProductAttachments/en-GB/PIS/P91390GBENC-01.pdf and the MSDS here http://www.jfmckenna.com/business/Image/PDF File/Mushroom/MSDS/Deosan Red label 2005.pdf Shows it to be 11% available chlorine Sodium Hypo!

I phoned our local SCATS countrystores who didn't know what Sodium Hypochlorite was but had 9 x 20L barrels of "Red Label Hypo" in stock at a staggering £8.04 each (Don't know who manufactures it)!!!!

Has anyone (in the UK) tried it yet? TESCO and ASDA sell thin bleach at 14p a litre but if it is as weak as we reckon then this "Red Label Hypo" stuff is a bargain at the price and even the datasheet says it can be used for swimming pools!

Cheers for a great site!

Gareth

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.