my lastest numbers

PaulR said:
ethany said:
How do my numbers look other than chlorine? Since I have a swg does my stabilizer need to be higher?
Yes. But you said you just put in 2lb, and it can take days for it to register on the test.
ethany said:
How about my CH is that too low?
Fix that after you're done shocking.
--paulr

I agree with Paul. That being said, you only added about 1/2 the amount you need to get your CYA level to 70. 2 lbs in a 20,000 pool will only raise the CYA by 12. You want your ideal level to be 70, so you'll need to add another 3 lbs. It takes about a week for the CYA to fully dissolve and register on tests. How are you adding it?

Again, I agree with Paul. Yes, your CH should be at least 220 but you should wait to fix that until your shocking issue is resolved.

By the way, are these pool store test results? Or do you have your own kit? If you don't have your own kit, I highly recommend you order one today, online. Either the TF100 or the Taylor K-2006. Accept no substitutes.

I put in an extra 2 lbs that was remainder of 4 lbs bucket. I put in a warm bucket of water and stir. After about 5-10 min. I took skimmer basket out and put full suction on skimmer and poured in according to instructions.

A question about the cya,it takes about a week to dissolve,what if my filter needs backwashing durning this time?

These are pool store tests. What do you think about the pool store guy trying to sell phosphates to clear water up?

Thanks for all your help.

ethany said:
I put in an extra 2 lbs that was remainder of 4 lbs bucket. I put in a warm bucket of water and stir. After about 5-10 min. I took skimmer basket out and put full suction on skimmer and poured in according to instructions.

A question about the cya,it takes about a week to dissolve,what if my filter needs backwashing durning this time?

These are pool store tests. What do you think about the pool store guy trying to sell phosphates to clear water up?

Thanks for all your help.

The pool store guy is telling you that so he can take your money. PHosphates are irrelevant provided you maintain adequate chlorine levels. I recommend a good test kit so you don't have to rely on them and get tempted to buy unneccessary chems like phosphate remover. :wink:

RE: backwashing - we recommend adding CYA to a sock and hanging it in front of the return or off to the side in the skimmer, where it slowly desolves. This way, it won't interfere with backwashing. IF you were to backwash now, much of the CYA you added could be lost. Since it's been about 3 days, you are probably okay though, assuming the filter has been running this whole time? I think it should have dissolved by now. Is your pressure rising?

I would go ahead and add another 2 lbs using the sock method. :goodjob:

just went this afternoon to have my water tested at a different pool store than previous store and was told my cya is 0 but last night it was tested and was 40 how could this be? Also now my fc is 5 which is good because I shocked last night.

I realize it takes 72 hrs or more for good reading but how could I lose all my cya in one night.

You didn't. Pool Stores are notoriously innaccurate with their testing, they are almost as bad as using strips. So one of the results is just plain wrong.

You need to order your own kit, as advised above, that way you will have accurate results.

I been out of work for over 6 months which is one reason I am here(besides learning some basic pool chem.) I realize now I need to do my own testing but are there any that you can recommend alittle bit cheaper. Just trying to get the pool going this year without going broke.

The TF100 is the best deal currently available. It costs a little more up front, but it will save you many times that much in reduced chemical costs in the long run. The Taylor K-2006 is a little less expensive, but it will run out of reagents much more quickly for some of the common tests, and end up costing as much or more in the long run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my current numbers

Threads merged for consistency by Moderator.

tc-10
fc-10
ph-7.2
ta-150
ch-330
cya-90

The thing I am concerned about is my cya was 0 two days ago and today it is 90(did test at pool store). About a week ago I put in around 3 lbs into the skimmer, tested it 3 days later it was 40,then I made the mistake of backwashing and did another test and it was 0.

So I put 3-3 1/2 lbs in a sock hung in front of a return(on wed.) and now it is 90. I have about 1/2 lb or so left in the sock,should I remove or let it dissolve? Should I make any other adjustments at this time? FYI, I do have a swg.

Thanks
Brian

Pool stores tests can be widly inaccurate - Edit - since the tests have been performed at different stores, I'm guessing the ones that report 0 were wrong/testing error. You have CYA - it's just not clear how much, since you have used trichlor and added CYA. End Edit.

Have you ordered your kit? Your own testing would be much more reliable.

ethany said:
The same store, they use a strip and put it into some type of scanner.

ethany said:
just went this afternoon to have my water tested at a different pool store than previous store and was told my cya is 0 but last night it was tested and was 40 how could this be? Also now my fc is 5 which is good because I shocked last night.

I realize it takes 72 hrs or more for good reading but how could I lose all my cya in one night.

Test strips in a scanner are worthless IMHO....FYI

I know the testkit is a tough pill to swallow right now, but honestly, right now this is just guessing.

Ok,I learned my lesson, I am ordering the test kit. Just got back from pool store #2 to compare the difference.

Pool store #1 (Test strips w/scanner) results:
tc-10
fc-10
ph-7.2
ta-150
ch-330
cya-90

Pool store #2 (drops)
fc-5
tc-5
ph-7.8
ta-110
cya-10
I understand what you are saying now, this pool store testing is a joke.

Now what do I do in the meantime, I do not want to lose any ground. I assume it will take a few days/week before I receive test kit.

Let us assume for the moment that your CYA level is around 20. You said that it was zero before, and then you added 3 lbs of stabilizer, which would have raised it by 18. The pool store that says your CYA is 90 is presumably totally wrong.

A SWG should have a CYA level of around 70 to 80. However, since it is very difficult to lower CYA, you might want to hold off on raising CYA further till the new test kit can be used to confirm your CYA level.

Both pool stores agree that you have a substantial amount of chlorine and that your other levels are more or less acceptable, even if they can't agree on what they really are.

Assuming the water is clear, all you should really need to do is to add some chlorine each day. The SWG won't be able to keep up given the very low CYA level.

It should only take a few days to get a test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.