My first pool forum!

Wyovat

Mar 17, 2022
Douglas Wyoming indoor
hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself.
I manage an estate with a small indoor pool. It is an 18,000 gal with an 840 gal spa, that spills into the pool. It is a concrete pool with travertine marble tiles and large stones inlaid above the water line.
It is a salt water pool and uses a sand filtration system, swg for chlorine, and sits in an enclosed gym area of the house. When I started working here seven years ago, I inherited this pool as part of my building maintenance. There was a thick line of calcium carbonate along the water line that had formed over the years prior. I had little knowledge of pools, and the area I live in is remote and pool companies are 100s of miles away and not cost effective for routine maintenance.

Within a few months of reading, testing, trying to balance the water, I decided to go to school. I took a seminar at the community college and received a CPO certificate. The course was only a couple days, but the knowledge I gleaned from that was immeasurable! Most of the people in the class were motel owners, or school, county employees learning how to manage their public and semi-private pools. In Wyoming, the health department requires certification for public and semi-private pools. The pool I manage is private and is solely used by the family and their invited guests.

I have been using the LSI but have always thought this was not very well suited for saltwater pools. LSI calculation software always says my CH is way high. I often enter a much lower value to the formula to get the desired result.
I actually discovered that maintaining CH at 340-360 eliminated ALL my scaling problems!

I learned this from visiting TFP a few years ago! Since making that calcium adjustment, the pool has never looked better!
I am as stickler for cleanliness and take pride in a crystal clear pool. I do all equipment repairs, water chemistry and upgrades to the pool. We have a "git er done" mentality here in Wyoming. So many resources people take for granted don't exist here! Technicians, plumbers...........basically ALL skilled tradesmen are hard to find, and backed up with workload. You can get companies to come from Colorado, but the hourly and mileage rates are in the $100s before they even arrive at your door! Then if they diagnose a problem and need a part, They order it and have to schedule a return trip to complete the repair. I haven't had a pool company here in 4 years. I started diagnosing problems and doing my own maintenance.

One problem I struggle with is the constant roller coaster ride of water balance.
The JVAs send 1/2 the return water through the spa, which has a waterfall into the pool. There are three spillways constantly splashing and agitating the water. I have achieved "zero" water on a few occasions, but it is very rare when all the planets align and I hit 0.0.
I can keep it within the LSI, but the PH rises daily. I apply muriatic acid a couple times a week and of course, it ALWAYS drops alkalinity in the process. The pool looks beautiful and the owners comment on a regular basis. There isn't a speck, smudge or stain ANYWHERE.

I have read about agitation, water features etc, but this roller coaster is frustrating. Even when I achieve perfect balance, it wont last more than a few days. I used sodium bisulfate for years, but I had to order that online, given my remote location. I also got tired of mixing it in 5 gal bucket and pouring that along the sides. Muriatic acid is available at both hardware stores in my town. The home improvement stores even in the larger cities here only carry pool supplies seasonally and it is 160 mile round trip to Casper.
I switched to muriatic acid a few years ago. I currently use about a gallon a week, or about 50 gallons a year, give or take. I am considering installing an acid delivery system attached to a large drum of acid. I get tired of hauling jugs of acid in my vehicle.

Does anyone use an acid/PH automated system? I have 40 gal drum of acid, waiting to hook up. I recently installed the iAqualink web interface and motherboard. I replaced a couple JVAs and cammed one for spa overflow. I feel I could install an acid delivery system myself.
I am wondering if anyone has experience with using a system like that?

Another issue I have is with broad casting sodium bicarbonate. There is exercise equipment, flat screen tvs at the workout stations, high end gym equipment, etc. The housekeeper HATES when I broadcast into the pool. The cloud of baking soda is like a fog and settles on EVERYTHING. I have mixed it in a 5 gal bucket and poured it into the pool, but most of the reference books I got in my pool certification class suggest this is not a good practice.

Is there a way to add sodium bicarb without casting?

Thanks for reading everyone, and I will post some pics of my pool tomorrow. It is a beauty and I feel good about where I am at, I am just trying to simplify the process.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you've been busy already. :) As for the baking soda, while broadcast spreading is generally the typical response, your situation is a bit different due to the equipment nearby. Go ahead and mix in a bucket and pour slowly at the return jets and you should be fine.

Reactions: Wyovat
Hey, thanks for that Tex.
What do you think of adding it to the spa, since there are a couple nice returns there and a good triple spillway waterfall. It would be like another dilution step to introduce it to the pool.

Since I have your attention, I have another theory/question:
The constant agitation from the water feature, combined with the huge, high tech de-humidifier system in the pool room, seriously causes evaporation. I have a Levolor system that kicks on several times a day adding water.
I can move the valves on the returns, drain the spa, and just cycle everything to the pool.
Do you think eliminating the waterfall for now, might help with my constant rise in PH?
I keep the pool running year round, since the owners can drop in anytime on short notice. I have never left the spa empty before.

Hi and welcome to TFP! You have done a great job so far with that pool. I would LOVE to see a pic of it!!!

I am going to ping someone who had and loves his m.a. pump and he might be able to help you out on that @Dirk can you help a person out??

Plaster does not do well not in water so I don't think letting the spa sit empty would be a good idea. Is there anyway you can have the spa NOT overflow while the pump is running? Like turn some valves or such?

The constant having to add water is also going to contribute to you balance fight. Can you cover the pool to keep the evaporation down?

First let me disclaim that I don't know much about indoor pool chemistry. Some of it is similar to what I know, but a lot isn't.

The water agitation is very likely the chief culprit here. But even without that, you can't expect to balance the water one day and have it be fine a week later. Or even three days later, or even later that day! Your pool's chemistry is constantly changing, and "using up" the chemicals you add. How often you have to test the water and dose chemicals is a matter of your particular pool and all the forces at play (size and type of pool, agitation, fill water make-up, user load, environment, etc). It is what it is.

You do sound like a good candidate for acid-dosing automation, especially if running all the things that agitate your pool water are going to continue (and there's nothing wrong with that, you just have to compensate for them).

I know a lot about the Pentair IntellipH system (their acid-dosing product), which is a companion to the IntelliChlor (SWG), and it requires the IntelliChlor to function (there are shared components involved). You can't buy just the IntellipH and operate it stand-alone (not without modifying it). And the IntelliChlor benefits from being part of a Pentair automation controller system. It sounds like you're already down the path with another brand, so I probably won't be of much help when it comes to those other brands.

One of the advantages of the IntellipH, is that it doses the water with a small amount of acid every hour, which means the pH is going to be more stable throughout the day/week. You can duplicate that functionality with other systems, I'm sure, with some creative timer schedules. That might be one of the solutions to the bouncing ball chemistry. The other nice thing about the IntellipH/IntelliChlor duo is that they communicate with each other. For example, the IntellipH turns off the IntelliChlor while it's dosing acid so that you don't get highly concentrated acid flowing past the SWG plates while they're energized. That, too, could be simulated with another brand, but it complicates the scheduling even more.

I would caution you about developing a system that has as part of it a large reservoir of acid. That certainly sounds more convenient, but these automated systems are not infallible, and if they malfunction, and the acid dispensing pump gets stuck on, then you could dump, what, 15, 30, 50 gallons of acid into the pool. The risk of that is low, but the consequences of that could be very bad. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. My IntellipH only holds four gallons, and I dilute the acid 1:1, so really only 2 gallons of acid. Even if it all dumped into my pool at once, it wouldn't be catastrophic, not even close. So do consider that before you hook up a 50 gallon drum of acid to a gizmo that could potentially run reliably for 50 years or fail the next day!

TA is likely a key factor too, but I don't understand the pH/TA relationship very well. Others here do.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Have a look:

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
BTW, please fill in your signature first thing. You're asking a lot of questions (which we LOVE), so your thread is going to get long, and span pages, and you'll get better, faster answers if folks don't have to hunt around for your pool specs. Something like mine would be great. Be sure to include what type of testing kit you have, you're going to get asked about it.

How are you testing? What's your TA?

You're likely chasing your tail with acid additions followed by baking soda additions.

Reactions: aussieta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.