My first opening, after my first closing... not so good

er guys? it's getting worse... the color is deeper now; and the walls seem to have a lovely green film. I just poured in a 2G bottle of bleach.

tick tock. Now I know why it says fighting algae is race. it's winning. no tracking # on the kit; since i'm on the east coast, i'm hoping it gets here soon. is it terrible to fill rest up and run the pump on the old filter? or is that just giving algae more places to hide. I am at your mercy!

armedmetallica said:
er guys? it's getting worse... the color is deeper now; and the walls seem to have a lovely green film. I just poured in a 2G bottle of bleach.

tick tock. Now I know why it says fighting algae is race. it's winning. no tracking # on the kit; since i'm on the east coast, i'm hoping it gets here soon. is it terrible to fill rest up and run the pump on the old filter? or is that just giving algae more places to hide. I am at your mercy!

if i were you I would throw about 4 more gallons of bleach in the pool. (ii'm guessing based on what mine took when it was a muddy swamp just to register any FC) if you have any method of testing FC, you could throw them in one at a time until you have a reading. you probably don't have any FC, it is most likely getting consumed immediately by whatever is in your water

I will admit, I used test strips 90% of the time when i was shocking, the aqua check 3 way strips from lowe's. although the test kit shipped really fast.

they actually seem ok for me for FC. they are only usable up to about 10FC though and I don't know how accurate the ph and TA readings are, but i mainly used them to keep my chlorine above 10FC while i was shocking, you need the good kit when you get close to the end of the process, but until then, they are ok.

thanks everyone! i got most things up and running a few connections are dripping; didn't have any Teflon tape to fix it. using the old cartridge for now, until this gunk clears out. after that, will swap it out. heavy rain again today. pump is running. NOW I see lotsa green floaties that I presume is algae.

Update:

Noticed water level dropped... a LOT, well below skimmer. One of the clamps popped off and drained the pool to below the return value.

So off to the store, got a clamp. Didn't get to start filling it, but the torrential rain fall is helping that aspect. Again the water seems slightly clearer.

Costco had Concentrated bleach, got a 3 pack... it says the yield is 7.85 Available Chlorine...

still no info about test kit.

jblizzle said:
Good deal :goodjob:

What about the pH?

I would add about 20ppm of CYA and then assume you are around 30ppm (retest in a week) and then after adjusting the pH into the low 7s, get going on the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS.

thanks - updated readings... to include pH it's at 7.2 now.

looking at the shock process, first question... supposedly another storm hitting the area tomorrow.. wait till that passes before I start balancing? I was too eager today, cos the kit came, I HAD to try it.

I have a cartridge filter.. i'm guessing backwashing would mean taking that out and rinsing? I do have a brand new one, but would like to put that in after i'm crystal clear.

I'm a little confused about CYA... so many confusing names and products... any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
No to the first. Yes to the second.
Just go to a local store, not worth the shipping or the wait.

thanks! got a 4LB tub of CYA.

Wanted to see if they can get a CYA reading.. they said since my alkalinity is low, the CYA test got discarded? Attached are their test results for S&G's sake.

torrential downpours are headed this way. hoping i can get out to the yard before, so that this can circulate overnight.

Will add CYA and start the shock process as instructed :)

Edit:
instructions say to use 3LBs for every 10K in a newly filled pool, to get about 35 ppm... is it overkill if i add the entire 4LB tub to my 15K pool, with an unknown CYA number?

Attachments

• PS Analysis.jpg
    PS Analysis.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 37
All 4 pounds will add 32ppm to your pool. Problem is we do not know if you are starting at 0ppm or closer to 20ppm.

I might start with ~3 pounds and then test again in a week to see if you need more ... or if you think you would not mind being up at 50ppm, add all 4 pounds.

jblizzle said:
All 4 pounds will add 32ppm to your pool. Problem is we do not know if you are starting at 0ppm or closer to 20ppm.

I might start with ~3 pounds and then test again in a week to see if you need more ... or if you think you would not mind being up at 50ppm, add all 4 pounds.

thanks - i'll add about 3lbs; I know the test said this is a subjective thing... and being my first pool, i have no clue where I want to be. since the only way to get rid of cya is water replacement, probably err on the side of caution, do a little more than 1/2 the tub, and wait.

I might have to break it up anyhow, into doses... wanted to do the sock in skimmer method. i'm not big-boned, so don't have a huge sock to fit that much powder into!

one thing, if your FC is really 0, you want to get beach in that pool before it starts to go green again

i keep my FC a bit higher than most seem to around 10 and add more when it drops to around 5.

armedmetallica said:
jblizzle said:

thanks - i'll add about 3lbs; I know the test said this is a subjective thing... and being my first pool, i have no clue where I want to be. since the only way to get rid of cya is water replacement, probably err on the side of caution, do a little more than 1/2 the tub, and wait.

I might have to break it up anyhow, into doses... wanted to do the sock in skimmer method. i'm not big-boned, so don't have a huge sock to fit that much powder into!

there is such a thing as a skimmer sock that is made to fit the skimmer basket

It would be better to put the CYA in a tube sock or even wrapped up in a T-shirt and hang it in front of the return jet.

I agree with the above that you want to get the FC up to at least 3ppm first thing and then get that CYA dissolving.

thanks

@kjpool - weird, my test showed 1.5 FC... it did rain a bit, but not much. not sure what good it does, but near the pool, it smells like chlorine now, and the water is only every so slightly off.. seems more to be a turbidity thing than a color thing now. But, again, my first pool, so i have NO clue.
I did get a 5-pack of skimmer socks, i thought those were for picking up the finer debris, like a silt vacuum. Ended up using old panty hose... and about 2lbs later, the skimmer basket had no more room.

@jblizzle - yeah I was about to do that, but didn't want to risk it falling into the bottom of the pool and sitting there for over a day before I notice it. See above about the hose popping off... I am not a smart man :-(.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.