My beautiful green swamp that has turned yellow

Ok, now I'm confused. The OP said they are adding what PoolCalculator says to add to get up to shock level according to the CYA in the pool. An hour later, the test shows lower chlorine levels. I thought that was what happens with SLAMming when there's algae or something organic in the water. And continually adding bleach, waiting for it to mix (which also let's it oxidize and get used up), re-testing and re-adding is what results in SLAMming eventually getting the water clear.

This seems to be what the SLAM process says to do--help me understand where I'm going wrong...

pwrstrk said:
Are maintaining the shock level ? That means when you test the FC and its below shock level you bring it back up to shock level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I havent been able to get it to the shock level yet, I keep testing and adding the recommended amount, I have already added about 25 gallons of 7.24% bleach in total

How do you know it never got to shock level ? If you have something eating the chlorine up it won't stay at shock level long.

7.24% bleach ? I've never seen that percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your FC will start to hold more as the algae is killed off, as long as you are following the SLAM guidelines. Your CC will initially climb, then start dropping for the same reason.

It may seem like a gradual process, so keep a log of everything you do.

Pics for your own use will also let you know of the progress.

It seems like are trying to "pass another car" (kill algae) by going 2 mph faster than the other car who is accelerating (algae growing). You need more gas(chlorine) to get this guy(algae) in your mirror. If you add too little chlorine, you will drag this out longer.

Pardon me if I read this tread wrong, I am late to the party.

here is what I have so far
for the last addition I added double the amount just to try and get it up to 13 ppm

Time..................FC...................CC..................AMT ADDED

9 PM..................2.....................1....................2.5 gal

10 PM................6.5..................1....................none, realized I was out of bleach, ran to the store

11 PM................5.....................1....................2.5 gal

4 AM..................2.5..................1....................3 gal

5 AM..................11...................1....................2 quarts and 1 pint

6 AM..................11.5................1....................1 quart and 3 cups

7 AM..................9.5..................1....................2 gal, pool calculator said add 1 gal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.