My Battle with the Green Abyss

I haven't been waiting that long (20 PSI), the highest it's gotten to has been 17 or so and it took several days to get there. It's been sitting on 16 for the past 2-3 days. With all the junk in the water it seems it would rise faster than that if working properly. I just replaced the gauge with a new one a couple of weeks ago and it does read 0 when off.

I went ahead and took my multiport valve off and I'm doing the hose overflow trick now. There is a ton of dead algae and other junk overflowing. The sand didn't seem channeled or clumped. I left it overflowing and I'm going to check it and stir the sand around some more in a few mins because it didn't seem to be clearing u any time soon. Where exactly are the laterals at? I couldn't feel them with my hand so I'm guessing they are on down in there.

Be careful to not damage the laterals...they can be fragile, hitting them hard with a hose head can break them, especially the aged ones. If you have a top mount vavle, be careful to not move the stand pipe, since that may require removal of the sand and reseating the stand pipe/laterals assembly.

One other thought, it is possible that you either do not have enough sand or the wrong sand was used. Check your manual for how high the sand level should be. Did you put in the last batch of sand into that filter?

If you have a top mount vavle, be careful to not move the stand pipe, since that may require removal of the sand and reseating the stand pipe/laterals assembly.

Well, this happened and I ended up having to take all the sand out and reseat the stand pipe/laterals..... what a mess. All the laterals are still good though. It's all back together now and working. I didn't put in this last batch of sand in so I might just end up replacing it if I don't get any better performance out of what's in there now. The gauge I just bought is already messing up and sticking. I'm going to try and return it Monday.

I didn't change the sand last time, so I'm not sure what sand type it is. It did seem more coarse than your standard play type sand though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.