My battle with Mustard Algae

A clear cover will not protect the chlorine from the sun as much as a blue opaque cover will. She will need the cover to protect the chlorine when they are away for a few days. I suggested using the cover while they are away so the chlorine will be protected. Usually a cover is not to be used during the shock process but this is not a typical shock process in that they will be away for a few days.

Covers don't add too much heat as it is, they mostly protect the water from evaporation which retains the heat at night.

Just an update, it is looking even better than it did last night, We lost 1ppm last night so My husband added bleach to get back up to level, and I will vacuum test and clean the filter at noon when I get home from work.

If you did have yellow/mustard algae, then it would be dust-like and tend to be on the shady side of the pool. You would need to get behind light niches and under removable ladders and put in your pool cleaning equipment (poles, brushes, nets, etc.) into the pool during shocking. Read the Pool School article on Mustard Algae.

Thank you chem geek, it is like very fine yellow dust and tends to be in the shady spots worst and first, then slowly spreads to the sunny areas

I have moved and cleaned behind the ladder and actually took it out and sprayed it down on all surfaces with a heavy bleach mixture then scrubbed and put it back in, scrubbed all the skimmer components,and I threw the vacuum, garden hose, and all pool toys and floats in to soak in the shocking water. I have also washed all of out bathing suits in hot water and sun dried them. I also left one of my son's bathing suits at the lake, and will not be taking any of the other ones with us, that way there is no chance he might cross contaminate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.