My Backyard Kitchen

mrodgers said:
I'm in Pennsylvania. I have good beef, but the cuts are in the hands of my father-in-law. He raises for our use. He is old school and has the steaks cut thin to maximize usage where I can't cook them correctly, but it is his beef that I am getting and not grocery store garbage, so not much I can do. My kids watch them being born, name them, feed them, pet them, then sit at the dinner table asking, "Is this Buttercup? I just LOVE Buttercup!" as they plow into their hamburgers, LOL.

I get good thick ribeyes, but everything else he has cut at about a half inch. I don't even have time to get them all on the grill. By the time I'm slapping the 4th steak down, the first ones are over cooked.
:shock: ..your kids are hilarious!!! I can just see yalls expressions! I agree, farm raised by family is the best source. Speaking of old school, I recently started experimenting with my Moms old pressure cooker. I take a rump-roast (heck, any thick cut will do), coat with spice; garlic, paprika, Obay, EVOO and then sear the heck out of it on th grill. Transfer to the PC and add beef bouillion and wow, does that make some good tender beef. Then I chill and remove the fat layer and use the liquid base for onion soup. Wow, something to be said for the old style ways :goodjob:

pragmatic said:
:shock: ..your kids are hilarious!!! I can just see yalls expressions! I agree, farm raised by family is the best source. Speaking of old school, I recently started experimenting with my Moms old pressure cooker. I take a rump-roast (heck, any thick cut will do), coat with spice; garlic, paprika, Obay, EVOO and then sear the heck out of it on th grill. Transfer to the PC and add beef bouillion and wow, does that make some good tender beef. Then I chill and remove the fat layer and use the liquid base for onion soup. Wow, something to be said for the old style ways :goodjob:
Old school ways? Heck, if the seal on our pressure cooker didn't go out 2 years ago, she would still be cooking with it. My wife has always used the pressure cooker. I had never seen one being used until I met her in 1996. We never had a crock pot until the pressure cooker broke.

pragmatic said:
markadamarnold said:
That is AWESOME!!! Great job.
cbink said:
Great job! Love the kitchen & the fact that it's getting full use!
Thanks! I'm really proud of it, not because I think it's perfect, but more so because it was most all DIY; a real challenge for me and turned out to be a family learning/bonding experience.
This thread has inspired me to consider building my outdoor kitchen myself. I'm getting the utilities run to it now (during my pool build) and with those in place I now see no reason not to take on the kitchen myself.

cbink said:
This thread has inspired me to consider building my outdoor kitchen myself. I'm getting the utilities run to it now (during my pool build) and with those in place I now see no reason not to take on the kitchen myself.
NICE! You'll have plenty of time to start sourcing the SS parts (doors, drop-ins, sink & drawers). Then decide on the counter-top material; I'd suggest granite or stained concrete. I like the look and durability of both. Can't wait to help out with your build!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mac1775 said:
Just realized after going thru your pictures a second time your dog found himself a temporary housing unit. Too cool. Nicely done on the kitchen.
Thank you! Dice is quite the character; although he is getting better about obeying "no-pool" commands, he just can't refrain when company comes over (even in the winter). It's almost like he has to show them "his" pool and swim techniques (if you ignore him he yelps for attention).
Fancypants said:
WOW!
That is amazing.
Thank you! We are really enjoying it.

Really nice - we are having a kitchen installed in a couple of weeks, nothing as elaborate as yours, just a grill and frig. My son has me questioning the grill placement - we have a solid patio cover similar to yours and I was planning on placing the grill like you have but he's concerned about the smoke and grease on the ceiling - have you had problems with that?

Really nice - we are having a kitchen installed in a couple of weeks, nothing as elaborate as yours, just a grill and frig. My son has me questioning the grill placement - we have a solid patio cover similar to yours and I was planning on placing the grill like you have but he's concerned about the smoke and grease on the ceiling - have you had problems with that?
Going on 4-5 years now with heavy use and No ceiling staining issues at all. However, my patio is open on three-sides with plenty of circulation. I'd be concerned if it was cornered in. From the pictures I've seen of your build (is it next to your back door?), it might be worth changing it around.

What a beautiful outdoor kitchen! And yummy looking food. Thanks for posting pics. Hubby and I are thinking of doing the Kitchen on our own once our pool and patio is done.

How long did it take to complete the Kitchen? And where did you end up getting your granite? Did you custom cut the granite or use the precut forms that some vendors have?

Thanks CC. I'm embarrassed to admit that it took my son and I about 2 years. It was a spare-time project and about 80% DIY; we did all the design and framing to fit the drop-ins then leveled and wrapped with Hardi-Backer. We contracted for electrical and plumbing (biggest expense $1800 was a 70'ft run for draining sinks and the main reason for delay-first quote was $3500).
Our original plan for the counter top was granite "pieces" or tile, but I negotiated with a local tile company (Enchanted Granite), who was supplying the new home-builders in our area, that I would take scrap of the cheapest granite they had; Baltic Brown is entry-level builder-grade so Baltic brown it was. Granite guy and 3 employees showed up with a single slab for the bar and two huge slabs for the main counter (I would have accepted pieces). They custom cut it and even included some really fancy-cut sections around the bar-sink; installed price came to $10/SqFt (72SqFt). I also paid for surfacing the sides with travertine tile. The metal frame studs are easy to cut and definitely the way to go.
Overall, my son wife and I really learned a lot and enjoyed the build.

Last edited:
Dave, thank you for sharing. I showed your gorgeous kitchen to the hubby and he wanted to know what store was having the close out deal on the kitchen equipment? We've looked at some DIY plans an have everything pre-plumbed, wired and ran the gas lines. Biggest cost we are looking at now is equipment.

I enjoyed reading through your outdoor kitchen build. You did a fantastic job. I have to ask ..... what happens if you have to replace the grill? Will it be difficult to find one that's the same dimensions?

Dave, thank you for sharing. I showed your gorgeous kitchen to the hubby and he wanted to know what store was having the close out deal on the kitchen equipment? We've looked at some DIY plans an have everything pre-plumbed, wired and ran the gas lines. Biggest cost we are looking at now is equipment.
I think it was Bahama Blue, NW Houston. A friend and I realized it was a deal; we bought 3 sets of just about everything.

I enjoyed reading through your outdoor kitchen build. You did a fantastic job. I have to ask ..... what happens if you have to replace the grill? Will it be difficult to find one that's the same dimensions?
Thank you! Good question about replacing; from what I understand, the grills are fairly standard. Also, the parts that wear/deteriorate are interior and the outer housing is really heavy gauge stainless. I guess that's partly the reason for the high cost of drop-ins. However, it might be a good idea to purchase a set of replacement burners and deflectors now while available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.