My alkalinity is high and my PH is low-- HELP

ssmeitler

In The Industry
Jul 20, 2023
Colorado
I have a 5000 gallon above ground pool. I have successfully used copper to sanitize the past two years Copper reading is currently .5 which is within range.. I have been dealing with high alkalinity and low PH for almost 2 week now! I've done everything I have read about. My PH is currently 6.8 and alkalinity is 180-200. I've done the muriatic treatment several times and have added baking soda to try to bring the PH back up. Nothing is changing.

I have tried the muriatic treatment for lowering alkalinity 6 times over the past 2 weeks. HELP!!!

Last edited:
I have a 5000 gallon above ground pool. I have successfully used copper to sanitize the past two years Copper reading is currently .5 which is within range.. I have been dealing with high alkalinity and low PH for almost 2 week now! I've done everything I have read about. My PH is currently 6.8 and alkalinity is 180-200. I've done the muriatic treatment several times and have added baking soda to try to bring the PH back up. Nothing is changing.
How are you testing the water?

Below is the recommended method to lower your TA. Do you have a bubbler or water feature you can run to increase aeration and your pH? Also adding baking soda increases your TA so don't add that if you are trying to only raise pH.

As for the copper "sanitization", do you have any chlorine in the pool?

Below is the recommended method to lower your TA. Do you have a bubbler or water feature you can run to increase aeration and your pH? Also adding baking soda increases your TA so don't add that if you are trying to only raise pH.

As for the copper "sanitization", do you have any chlorine in the pool?
I do not use chlorine in my pool on a regular basis. I have tried to shock it with a chlorine based shock a few times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not use chlorine in my pool on a regular basis. I have tried to shock it with a chlorine based shock a few times.
Just so you know, copper is frowned upon here since it can cause staining in your pool and the CDC states that it should not be your primary means of sanitization. Assuming it is your personal pool, it is yours to manage how you see fit. Just know that copper cannot kill everything in your pool that can cause humans to get sick and can also lead to issues down the road for your pool.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.