My 7 day Theory aka 2018 Pool Start up..

theHamburgler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2014
Bad Street, Georgia
Greetings fellow TFP members...just wanted to share my story for the newbies for 2018. I've been doing it the TFP way for at least the last 4 years and it never fails me, so anyone seeing this remember to follow all the advice and be patient, it works!!! This is long, but its also for me to record and be able to look back in the future what I did.

Ok, so started a little late this year 5-9-2018(actually was my Bday), took the cover off to a hideous monstrous swamp.swampthing.jpg After I got the guy living at the bottom of it out I started my journey with my handy TF-100 test kit and to no surprise a bunch of Zero's all down the board...FC=0, CC=0, TC=0, CYA=0....PH was a steady 7.2 AND TA around 50 (I don't really test for CH since I have a Vinyl liner.) Well this year I happened to have some left over Dichlor Shock sitting around and I always remember the Dichlor raises CYA, so I figured why not try and kill 2 birds with 1 stone, raise my CYA and start my SLAM with a little Dichlor...only problem I used too much and it raised my CYA to 70 after 2 days and 12lbs.... Enough of that!! On to straight Chlorine!!

Day 3 started with my daily vac/brush/test session, luckily it was Friday and it hadn't rained for a few days I'd been able to maintain my shock level fairly well and my mean green was a wimpy aqua color by now. Important to note here...KEEP SLAMMING!! KEEP BRUSHING!!! KEEP VACUUMING!! Of course this is hard to do as most of us know, we are brushing and vacuuming the unknown because we cant see anything...but keep doing it anyway.

Day 4 and 5 were really great, since its the weekend I am able to really keep my SLAM levels up all day, checking every couple of hours and raising my SLAM level as needed. I still was only vac/brushing in the morning and afternoon, nothing in between.

Day 6 great strides are being made, we've reached the point of cloudy blue/green water and less and less junk getting vac'd up. Also not having to backwash as much as early in the process (I was backwashing sometimes twice a day early to once a day)....KEEP SLAMMING!!! But bad news...the rain came last night so I was a little nervous that this would stunt my progress, tested and dumped more chlorine in and went to bed.

Day 7....I AWAKE TO A SPARKLING OASIS...go out and get the remnants of whatever was left in the pool out vac/brush/test....passed the OCLT test..HOORAY!!!! All done in record time this year, it usually takes me about 2-3 weeks to get everything clear, don't know what happened this year but I wont complain.

Now if only the rain will stop...its forecast to rain the next 10 days :( ....oh well, I can maintain in the rain!! Good luck folks!!!
2018 pool opening.jpg

Nice results!
Couple questions as I have been lucky not to have to fight the green monster.

Are you vacuuming to waste or into the filter?

What affect does the rain have on slamming other than being a pain to work in?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.