MY 1st POST!!! Help me please!!!!!

during your SLAM, don't worry about or test anything except FC and CC

as long as your SWG was working before and no high salt alarm or led you should be good :)

Ok, so I think that I am in good shape now after a SLAMing my pool for 3 straight days. Initially, I was able to maintain b/t a 20-24 FC level for a solid day and followed up by testing 3-4 times a day and adding (tons of bleach) for the next 2 days. My water has been the clearest that I have ever seen it for 3 days now and my FC level seems to be holding steady. I am going to post the measurements that I just got from doing a full test about 5 minutes ago. If anyone has any advice for my next steps then it would be hugely appreciated.

Sunday July 19 (2PM)
Salt= 3900 (still 400 higher than what is recommended for my equipment)
CL- 5
PH- 7.5
FC- 10
CC- .5
TC- 10.5
CH- 250 ppm
TA- 80
CYA- 50

Wow! Nice to see a short SLAM once in a while. 3 days is pretty short. I don't see where you completed the OCLT. Did you pass all three tests? Might want to go a few more days just to make sure. Would hate to have the evil green meany return.

OK, so short follow up. I just checked my FC level out of curiosity and it was 7 (it was 10 about 4 hrs ago). This leads me to believe that I need to continue SLAMing my pool. I went ahead and added bleach and will measure my level again in 30 min to make sure that I am in the correct ball park.

I guess that I have 2 questions for the experts out there:
1. Do I need to adjust the target FC level for my SLAM now that I know my CYA number has changed since originally starting this? My original target FC was 24.
2. Should I try to perform the OCLT test every evening, even if the FC level is very high (20+) due to SLAMing? Does it matter if, for example, I add bleach at 8PM and then check my FC at 11PM for the OCLT test?

I think that I mostly understand this process but I would like to be certain that I am doing it properly.

As always, thanks everyone for all of the great advice!!!

I guess that I have 2 questions for the experts out there:
1. Do I need to adjust the target FC level for my SLAM now that I know my CYA number has changed since originally starting this? My original target FC was 24.

You can adjust your FC down to 20. I don't think it would hurt anything to keep at 24.

2. Should I try to perform the OCLT test every evening, even if the FC level is very high (20+) due to SLAMing? Does it matter if, for example, I add bleach at 8PM and then check my FC at 11PM for the OCLT test?

I would add at 8 PM, wait until the sun goes down, test your FC...record that number and test your FC before the sun comes back up. If your loss is </= 1 ppm you have passed. I would just try to keep the FC at SLAM level and then do the OCLT.

BTW if your FC was 10 ppm then you need to get that level to 20 or better not wait for it to go down to 7. Maintain that FC level at 20. Remember, MAINTAIN!

Your are doing a bang up job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It surely does matter. It is called the Overnight test because we want the time period to be overnight.......at least 8-10 hours. Anything less is an invalid test.

Hold your FC at shock level until you pass all three criteria for a successful SLAM. DO NOT let it drop to 10ppm (or below Shock level) until you complete your SLAM.

Dom

SLAM update and I need some expert advice....

I decided to work from home the last two days so that I could stay on top of SLAMing my pool. I have been able to check my FC levels almost every 2 hrs throughout the day and have been keeping it steadily around 20. The lowest it got was yesterday at noon and it was 13.5, the highest was tonight at 9 and it measured 23.5. I think I got a little overconfident and overdid the bleach earlier today.

Here is my predicament: My salinity has been high throughout the entire SLAM and it was even a little high before I started it. My recommended range is 3000-3500, starting the slam I was at 3600. Now there is a service code appearing for high salinity at a level of 4200. Apparently, anything over 4000 will make this happen. I am guessing that all of the bleach that I have been adding over the past week might be the reason behind my spike in my salinity level.....

So my questions for everyone would be....
1. Should I not worry about this and continue my SLAM (hoping that I can successfully pass the OCLT very soon???
2. Should I try adding some new water? We haven't had much rain lately and I could easily use a few more inches of water.
3. Should I drain out some water and then add new?
4. Will there be a negative impact on my SLAM by adding new water other than the obvious drop in FC?

YOur SWG should be off during the SLAM. Have you had it on?

I shut the production level down to 0% throughout the entire SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

YOur SWG should be off during the SLAM. Have you had it on?

I shut the production level down to 0% throughout the entire SLAM.

I actually passed the OCLT test this morning and my FC level only dropped .5 from 9PM to 9AM. Now that I am done with the slam, should I slowly start bumping the chlorine production rate up starting at 10-20% production?

Many repeat the OCLT two nights in row...I know that is what I do. That will rule out a fluke in your testing. I believe that you should let your free chlorine drop to the higher end of the target for a SWG. Then you should adjust your % output and test your FC until you get the SWG generator to maintain your target FC. An expert will chime in should this be incorrect.

In addition I would recommend that you up your CYA to 70/80...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.