Briarcliff Manor, New York
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi TFP community. I noticed some spots on my walls. Nothing obvious to the regular bystander, but I am very analytical with my pool. When I brush it, it comes right off. Later on, I notice that it comes back. From what I read, this could be a little mustard algea, although I also read that is rare...especially in the NE where I am in NY. My water is crystal clear, passes the over night test, and has CC of less than .5. Again I will stress that I notice it but most don't or won't.

My readings are attached. Screenshot_20230628-232652.png

My thoughts are this does not qualify for a SLAM. I would hate to have to drive FC up to 31 and then not be able to use the pool for a while because of the need to wait for it to drop. I get that it is technically safe to swim below shock levels based on CYA chart but I just don't feel comfortable letting people and kids jump in the water with FC levels way above 10.

Any thoughts. Maybe a little Cal Hypo and get it up to 10? Thanks

Since you stated that you have passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, I don't see a need to go into a SLAM Process at the moment. Increasing the FC to 10 really won't accomplish anything anyway. For now I would continue to monitor. Brush that area a bit more than others and watch for any other indications it might actually be Mustard Algae (or regular algae). Only then if you do, or later fail the OCLT, would I take it further.

Reactions: Tommygarry1
Curious, how did you get a result of 5.3 ppm FC?

Also, CC is not likely the same as FC. Hopefully CC is at or near 0.

Reactions: Tommygarry1
When I use my tailor kit I tend to round off and split the differences with the colors. Probably shouldn't do that but it's just to have it. So I guess for all my measurements just round up. I always just. And combined chlorine as the same. That's my mistake. My free chlorine is equal to my total chlorine. My CC is less than 0.5

Reactions: mknauss
Since you stated that you have passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, I don't see a need to go into a SLAM Process at the moment. Increasing the FC to 10 really won't accomplish anything anyway. For now I would continue to monitor. Brush that area a bit more than others and watch for any other indications it might actually be Mustard Algae (or regular algae). Only then if you do, or later fail the OCLT, would I take it further.

Update on this thread. Still saw some of that greenish/yellowish stuff on parts of walls. Again, not an "eyesore." My wife does not notice. Brushes right off. Passed all 3 tests. Latest numbers...plus I decided to massage my filter with a nice backwash. Off to play golf.
Screenshot_20230630-042821.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630-042144.png
    Screenshot_20230630-042144.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.