Mustard Algae

Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: Mustard Algae questions

I have exactly the same problem, slam at mustard age level for a week, everything looks good, tests perfectly, no loss of FC overnight, clear...and it comes back almost over night, for years I have been battling mustard algae. Nothing I do works to keep it from coming back so there must be a place it is accumulating and I'm not getting to. I suspect my light is the culprit. We are about to change out the entire light unit as we have replaced the bulb and gasket twice and it still leaks....good luck with yours, wish I has some answers but I don't.

Re: Mustard Algae questions

I have exactly the same problem, slam at mustard age level for a week, everything looks good, tests perfectly, no loss of FC overnight, clear...and it comes back almost over night, for years I have been battling mustard algae. Nothing I do works to keep it from coming back so there must be a place it is accumulating and I'm not getting to. I suspect my light is the culprit. We are about to change out the entire light unit as we have replaced the bulb and gasket twice and it still leaks....good luck with yours, wish I has some answers but I don't.

Have you considered replacing the gaskets in the light niche and skimmers? At one point, I was informed by someone in the business that sometimes mustard algae starts from this area, which could mean that algae is lurking back in the crevices, small enough to not detect and create problems.

Given your recurring situation, if this was my pool, I would drain below the light and replace the gaskets, etc. This will give you an opportunity to inspect back there as well. I am not 100% certain, but this was a conversation. For me, I would love to figure out how to remove the face plate on the skimmer as the tabs keep it so secure and I am afraid of damaging the liner.

Have you considered replacing the gaskets in the light niche and skimmers? At one point, I was informed by someone in the business that sometimes mustard algae starts from this area, which could mean that algae is lurking back in the crevices, small enough to not detect and create problems.

Given your recurring situation, if this was my pool, I would drain below the light and replace the gaskets, etc. This will give you an opportunity to inspect back there as well. I am not 100% certain, but this was a conversation. For me, I would love to figure out how to remove the face plate on the skimmer as the tabs keep it so secure and I am afraid of damaging the liner.

I suspected as much that it is the light area it's coming from. So we will hold off slamming and wasting bleach until this is fixed...thanks for your input!!!

I suspected as much that it is the light area it's coming from. So we will hold off slamming and wasting bleach until this is fixed...thanks for your input!!!

Unless this is happening real soon, you will still need to slow down any more problems by continuing the SLAM. What exactly are you doing with the light area, and when is this happening? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.