Mustard algae

May 22, 2015
brooklyn, ny
Hello guys,

I was wondering if you can help me out. This season has been terrible for my pool. Since opening it, we haven't been able to get clear water in it. The issue is yellow/mustard algae. I purchased yellow clear to get rid of it and not having any luck. The main issue is that it seems that after you put in yellow clear and then add chlorine, you should see a white reaction in your pool, but I see nothing. This what I do:

I brush my pool walls and then sprinkle yellow clear through out my pool and then add the chlorine. I tried liquid chlorine and tried chlorine sprinkles and nothing, no reaction like you see in YouTube videos.

I also tried adding yellow clear with pool shock and nothing either.

So I have 2 questions, first what am I doing wrong when adding this yellow algae killer?

My second question is that I have a very small pool, around 5 gallons. However I was really going intense in trying to clear it this week so over a period of a week I must have added 2 lbs of yellow clear and like 4 lbs of shock. Is that water now very dangerous even if somehow it is cleared of algae? Should the water be changed? My wife is pregnant so I'm getting very concerned that I have overdid it.

Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.