Mustard Algae problem for past 4 years

Something dark tan (pollen or dust ) that for some reason my sand filter wouldn't pick up. It was just getting brushed around and resettling in the same areas. Little divots in the liner and seams.

If your numbers and oclt are good and your water super clear I bet you are dealing with something similar.

Not sure yet. I have decided to let the chlorine drop to normal levels and wait to SLAM. Going to be warm this weekend and don't want to mess up a good couple swimming days cause of my chlorine being through the roof due to SLAMing. One other question I do have though and not sure if you can answer it or not but thought I would give it a shot. Before doing a SLAM, should I bring the CYA down to a more manageable level due to chlorine values being way high? I am running a SWG and it says to keep the CYA between 60-80 and I am at 70 now which is right in the middle. Wasn't sure if I should bring the CYA level down, do the SLAM, and then bring the CYA back up to normal levels for a SWG. Doing another OCLT test tonight just to make sure as well. Will post numbers tomorrow. Have a FC level of 8-9 right now with CC<1.

It is odd that that stuff disappears in the shade, somewhat verifying it's probably not MA. Perhaps more related to a circulation issue? But to answer your question about CYA and a SLAM .... it's up to you. You could do a water exchange to lower CYA, but some might find that process not worth the trouble and simply count on buying a little more bleach for the higher FC level. It's good either way. And remember, it is safe to swim in a pool that's being SLAMmed as long as the FC doesn't go over the SLAM level. Have a good day.

What Texas splash said. Personally I would rather buy extra bleach than mess with CYA.

Circulation issues and small depressed spots which catch sediment were why my residue was collecting in the same spots over and over.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when you pull the ladder be sure and fill the inside of the legs up with some bleach to kill anything that might be in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.