Mustard Algae keeps coming back - then Bromide mistake

Jul 10, 2019
Nashville, TN
First off, I want to say this site has been a godsend. I've been using what I've learned here for the last 5 years, and my pool has been perfect with minimal effort and expenses. (I've only had to step foot in a pool store once to buy a fitting for my pump.)

Last summer, I developed a mustard algae problem. I followed the procedure listed on TFP. I completed the SLAM process, then raised FC to Mustard shock level for 24 hours. In my case, FC was raised to 35 ppm (CYA=60), and I scrubbed everything very thoroughly again (including behind the light niche). It took almost 2 weeks for the FC levels to drop back down to normal. During that time, I still brushed the pool 3 times a week and kept my pump & sand filter running non-stop.

I thought the mustard algae problem was behind me, but about 3 days later, it came back. So, I SLAM'd again and raised FC to Mustard levels again (35 ppm), but this time, I kept them there for 48 hours. Again, it took 2 weeks for FC to drop down to normal levels. The algae appeared to be gone by the time I winterized the pool last fall.

The big downside to the extra high FC levels is that my pool liner color has been bleached to a much lighter color below the waterline from the high FC levels.

In March, I opened my pool and the mustard algae has returned. I once again SLAM'd and raised FC to Mustard shock level (with lots of scrubbing), and again after a few weeks, the issue returned.

I had a pool guy come to replace my pump, and he mentioned a product that he said works great on killing mustard algae. I made the mistake of trusting him and using it. I knew better and should have looked at the ingredients and not trusted him. It was "ProTeam Mustard & Black Magic," and of course, it has Sodium Bromide as the main ingredient. I added 2 lbs to my 30,000-gallon pool.

The mustard algae appeared to be resolved for 48 hours, but now it's back again.

I'm VERY aware of my mistake in adding that to the pool, and I know that total water replacement is the only real solution. However, it is a very big undertaking to drain and refill my 30,000-gallon liner pool because of the liner.

I'm now wondering if I could drain it 18 inches or so, refill, and repeat multiple times to lower the Bromide levels. But even then, I'm not sure how to kill this darn mustard algae.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm now wondering if I could drain it 18 inches or so, refill, and repeat multiple times to lower the Bromide levels. But even then, I'm not sure how to kill this darn mustard algae.
A partial drain in very inefficient. It will drain some of the water that was just added.

When the previous SLAM was performed - how did you know when to increase the the FC to Mustard Algae level? I am just wondering if you did your original SLAM long enough.

I would SLAM by maintaining FC of 24ppm (CYA = 60), brushing every surface 2x daily and would maintain 35ppm until it passed the overnight test (no change from sunset to sunrise in FC levels), then would raise it to Mustard Algae shock level, in my case 35ppm.

And yes, I'm aware that I'd be removing some of the new water each time, but I'm wondering if I repeat the partial drain and refill process many times if it would dilute the Bromine to a negligible level eventually. So I guess I'm wondering does ALL of the bromine need to be removed?

I would SLAM by maintaining FC of 24ppm (CYA = 60), brushing every surface 2x daily and would maintain 35ppm until it passed the overnight test (no change from sunset to sunrise in FC levels), then would raise it to Mustard Algae shock level, in my case 35ppm.

And yes, I'm aware that I'd be removing some of the new water each time, but I'm wondering if I repeat the partial drain and refill process many times if it would dilute the Bromine to a negligible level eventually. So I guess I'm wondering does ALL of the bromine need to be removed?
Even a small amount of bromide ppm can cause the cycle to repeat. The only sure way is to do a 100% drain and refill.
You may have already read this but always a good reference

Maybe @Donldson or @ajw22 can provide additional guidance

It will take many many draining cycles to reduce the bromine level in the pool.

The bromine will eventually degrade and get to negligible levels but it will take a lot of time and water.

@JoyfulNoise @Leebo may have ideas.

Reactions: HermanTX
In my opinion, all you need to do is SLAM and then maintain the FC sufficient to pass an OCLT.

Just keep the FC at about 15% of the CYA and you should be fine.

Periodically do an OCLT and as long as you pass, your FC is sufficient.