Mustard Algae - another few questions

DRF2

May 23, 2023
Magnolia, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I'm 100% sure I have mustard algae in the pool. I can clear it out, but it comes right back within a day or two. I know I need to SLAM the pool, and I read the article about treating the algae, but I had some other questions.

1. Once I get the pool up to the MA/SLAM shock level and clear it out, I know I need to brush everything. However, there are lots of places that are just unreachable unless I get in the water. Is that shock level safe to get into?
2. Is it safe to run my robotic vacuum through the MA/SLAM shock level? I have little doubt that it could be one of sources where it starts again.
3. I have a solar cover, and from the other thread, it looks like maybe I just need to lay it out on my lawn upside down? If that is the case - how long does it need to sit out in the sun? From the cover's warranty, I'm not supposed to leave it out in the sun (UV damage). I don't want to screw up my cover, but killing the algae is more important.
4. Do I need to do anything about my sand filter? or will the slam in and of itself be enough to "clean it out"
5. If the algae isn't the source of my constantly high drain on chlorine - what level should I maintain to keep it "normal"?

Thanks again as always :)

David F.

Are you still using hydrogen peroxide?

Can you show pictures of the algae?

No.. been on chlorine for several months, and it has worked out great. I'll grab a picture tomorrow.
The reason I'm absolutely sure - after I vacuum it up etc. when I look at it the next day or two, it comes back in the exact same spots every single time.

When I reached out to the company, I never got a response. I talked to the pool vendor, and his whole attitude was kind of "that sucks, too bad". I finally went back and tried to return the 4 gallons of hydrogen peroxide, and he wouldn't give me my money back, but he took it off my hands for $50. I was originally going to go back and try to return the oxygen treatment powder, but my wife was so frustrated, I just tossed it out with the hazardous chemical dump in the county and just ate the $250 for it.

But, thank you :)

David F.

Reactions: JamesW
It's definitely dark to medium yellowish, no trace of actual green. It's not brown or black either.
And it comes back quickly every time.. I can't keep it cleared out for more than 2 days, even if I keep the FC level at 5-8 the entire time.

This is mustard algae.

img_7905-jpeg.521254

It's definitely dark to medium yellowish, no trace of actual green. It's not brown or black either.
And it comes back quickly every time.. I can't keep it cleared out for more than 2 days, even if I keep the FC level at 5-8 the entire time.
Yeah - still sounds like plain algae. Comes in many colors...

The SLAM Process is a process. FC of 5-8 is not SLAM level, so algae are surviving, and returning as FC levels drop.

I know the temptation is to believe your pool is unique - but really, it's just not enough sanitation.
The FC/CYA Levels is the key here to preventing algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First things first.

Complete the SLAM Process
Meet all 3 criteria, no shortcuts.

Worry about the MA protocol later - if needed.

At SLAM Process levels (40% of CYA level), it's safe to swim as long as you can see the entire bottom of the pool. Getting in the pool to scrub hard to reach areas is safe as well as long as you adhere to the rest of this paragraph.

BTW - looks like plain ordinary algae to me too.

Can you just remove the ladder?
Might make the job of getting all the algae out of the ladder easier.

I've thought about removing the ladder.. it's screwed down, and obviously it will be very difficult to get it back into it's original position - certainly not impossible.
Sorry I can't get the pictures any clearer.. the algae actually looks a little lighter than these pictures.

Attachments

• 17DF8004-EEF5-4E1A-9927-F5D0EC0EE3E5.jpg
    17DF8004-EEF5-4E1A-9927-F5D0EC0EE3E5.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 348EA161-2757-4F79-98C7-61888732E96B.jpg
    348EA161-2757-4F79-98C7-61888732E96B.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 8
  • C1B59A48-786E-4E82-86B2-B152DF38D7C1.jpg
    C1B59A48-786E-4E82-86B2-B152DF38D7C1.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 8
First, I'd start on the SLAM. If you have trouble completing, then you'll need to look at potentially dealing with ladder, lights, skimmers, etc.
Many people do not have to do those things - as SLAM is typically very effective.

The ladder rails hold 2 gallons (?) Each. Here's the userside of somebody's steps from earlier.

279219-10c6c18562acbf6deb29c069046dc41d.jpg279220-cf6cf04995ea529ecb29bb91008beb94.jpg

It much easier to inspect and clean in the backyard than in thr pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.