RondaMac

Aug 3, 2022
Tallahassee Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I purchased a home with a pool for my children to rent back from me. Problem is, it’s in another state. And we have not been pool owners before. (Yes, I know, brilliant move).
We have been fighting algae since May. I thought I had it under control then, and it was good until they left for vacation in July. I’ve just returned from there. Spent a week reading TFP & following all SLAM procedures. Left 4 days ago, just heard that the algae is back.
Chlorine was tested today using the OTO, and still shows 5+

My last test numbers were on Sunday morning:
OTO 5+
Chlorine 19 ppm
Ph 7.2

Friday morning I tested for
CYA 50
FC 24
CC 2
TA 90
I’m in a rough spot, trying to direct pool care long distance. I’ve told them to add 1 gal chlorine now, run the pump 24-7 again, and to do the FC & CC test asap. The sides have also been swept as of today.

Only change I’m aware of is giant shedding mimosa tree was cut down on Monday and dropped a ton of leaf debris, which was immediately cleaned out.

What else am I missing. Why, with high chlorine, do we have algae again? Any advice or correction appreciated!
Thanks so much!

I’m in a rough spot, trying to direct pool care long distance.
This right there. Family or not, if they aren't wiling to use a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit and follow the SLAM Process "thoroughly & completely" THEN followed by doing the final Mustard Algae FC elevation for 24 hrs, it's all for not. Wasted time & effort. Those in charge of the pool need to sign-up for TFP and follow TFP principles for best success. You trying to manage it long distance will just drive you nuts. :crazy:

Be sure to show them our Pool Care Basics page and let us know if you (or them) have any questions. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: Mdragger88
With the numbers you posted and the chart, your SLAM FC level for mustard Algae with your CYA should be closer to 30. Did you follow the mustard Algae chart during the SLAM? Quick pool math says you need 3 gallons of 10% Chlorine. If you use 12.5%, well, I would still use 3 gallons, personally.

If you actually have Mustard Algae, yes it's possible you still have with a FC level of 19.

Also with Chlorine levels this high, no sense in Testing PH.

Reactions: RondaMac
Hi, thanks for the help! My CYA was at 30 when I started the SLAM, and I did use the pool math app using that ratio. I then raised CYA after finishing all of the protocols to hold on to more of the chlorine. Thanks for the reminder about CYA to SLAM chlorine ratios, since that will have changed.

I also tested every day, swept the pool sides several times a day, installed a new vacuum, cleaned the cartridge filter every day or every two days, skimmed the leaves, and ran the pump 24-7. And now it’s back. (I also read TFP constantly, trying to get as much info on my own as possible.)

We will SLAM it again! Won’t let that algae win! Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the help! My CYA was at 30 when I started the SLAM, and I did use the pool math app using that ratio. I then raised CYA after finishing all of the protocols to hold on to more of the chlorine. Thanks for the reminder about CYA to SLAM chlorine ratios, since that will have changed.

I also tested every day, swept the pool sides several times a day, installed a new vacuum, cleaned the cartridge filter every day or every two days, skimmed the leaves, and ran the pump 24-7. And now it’s back. (I also read TFP constantly, trying to get as much info on my own as possible.)

We will SLAM it again! Won’t let that algae win! Thanks!
With mustard algae, remember to leave everything in the pool, the brush etc, so it's getting that constant dose of Chlorine. You don't want to fix the pool, then bring a contaminated brush or the vacuum back in, just to start another outbreak.

Reactions: RondaMac
You mention “sweeping” the sides & vacuuming but have you opened up & cleaned all the suspect algae hiding spots?

For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Thank you for the extra help and the reminders. I thought I had passed all 3 tests, until I saw your msg. My cc was at 1 not .5 when I thought I’d completed the SLAM.
I did scrub the ladder, and the seams, but not the skimmer door or inside skimmer area. Sooooo, those may be the issues.
I did float (& flip) all the toys, and left the nets/poles in the water overnight.
We’re starting a new SLAM tonight, trying to follow all steps. I’ll report back.
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.