Muriatic Acid scares the bejeezes out of me.

Niemeyer

Jun 27, 2022
Middleton, Idaho
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
What is the best method for adding Muriatic Acid to the pool? After reading all the warnings on the label and adding it today, I'm wary of doing it again. We used a glass measuring cup and added it in front of a return line. When the liquid hit the pool water, there was a few seconds of "steam" or gas coming off the pool water. The label specifically says not to breathe in the fumes but how do you avoid it? Did we do something wrong in the process? I don't want to be afraid to take care of my pool but I'm kinda spooked by the chemicals. Tips and suggestions most welcome.

UPDATE: I added Muriatic acid yesterday using the suggestions I received and it was much easier and definitely less stressful. I had the safety goggles and gloves, floated the jug in the pool and gently added. No visible gas coming off the water this time! Unfortunately, I over-shot the amount needed (gotta work on that) and dropped my PH too low. Not necessarily a horrible thing as I'd like to get my TA down from 150. I've been aerating the pool for about 24hrs using return jets and this morning the PH is 7.0. Maybe by this evening I'll have it up enough to swim...? Learning something new everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: VinnyinNJ
As above, don't use glass around the pool; you don't want to deal with broken glass on the bottom or the deck. Most plastic measuring cups will work for Muriatic Acid. However, many of us don't measure it out; I pour it straight from the jug, with the spout just inches above the water (the bottom of the jug can be in the water). That minimizes how much acid is exposed to the air, and eliminates steps with extra spill opportunities.

The main danger of MA is splashing into your eyes, or exposing your eyes or breathing the fumes for a length of time. Goggles aren't a bad idea to protect against splashes, but I wouldn't suggest a respirator -- someone here had a good respirator on, and thus didn't smell the fumes for an extended time, and ended up with some eye injury/burning for a few days. Being able to smell the fumes lets you know to shift/move away/close it up; a brief whiff doesn't hurt.

Getting it on your skin briefly isn't a big deal, so don't panic if that happens (I don't wear gloves). Take your time, close up the jug, and rinse off your skin -- conveniently you have thousands of gallons of water to do that.

The key is that you don't really have to measure that precisely. For example, in my pool I always put in a quart at a time -- I wait until the pH is around 7.9-8.0 and then a quart brings it down to 7.4-7.5. I end up doing that roughly once a week in the peak of summer; less often other times of year.

A few years ago I took a 1x2 stick and an empty jug, and measured 32oz increments of water into the jug, marking the stick at the height of each quart. I keep a sharpie in the bin with the MA, and now when I start a new jug, I put the stick next to it and mark off the quarts on the jug. That makes it easy to roughly measure it out. You might mark ~16oz heights for your smaller pool.

I have always liked the advice of "handle the least amount of possible" when it comes to MA. Dispensing the liquid into something else, then into the pool requires pouring twice, so if you can avoid that, the better. Other advice I liked, when you are going to add the MA, do it so the wind is blowing away from you, so the fumes blow away, and not at you. Keep the jug low to the water, pour in what you need, and close it all up. As @jmastron said, if you get any splashed on your skin, you have thousands of gallons of water right next to you for a quick rinse. Safety glasses or goggles are a good thing as well.

I also read here about a few people who took empty jugs and filled them with just pool water. They would pour the jugs into something else (not the pool) and measure their "practice" additions. For example, a slow pour for 2 seconds would be about 8 ounces. They kept "practicing" pouring the water out of the jug to get a good idea of how much each few seconds of pouring would equal, and then measure the results. When it came time to make a MA addition to the pool, they got very confident in how much they poured in, without actually measuring it, and without handling it twice.

The label specifically says not to breathe in the fumes but how do you avoid it?
Before u open the jug be sure u are not downwind (so the wind blows the fumes away from u)
I also hold my breath because it just doesn’t really take that long to add & MA is stinky.
* hold the bottle over the pool close to the surface of the water (if the jug is full u can “float” the jug on the water so it’s not so heavy)
* open the jug
* tip to pour the desired amount into the stream of a running return
* re cap the jug
* rinse the jug with pool water incase some ma got on the outside of the jug & place it on the pool deck
* brush the area where u poured the MA for good measure
If u must use another vessel to measure amounts use a plastic measuring cup & do the whole process over the water, pouring the ma into the cup, pour that into the pool, rinse the cup well & set it aside, cap the bottle and rinse it.
Doing everything over the pool close to the water means if u spill / drop u can rinse quickly & the possibility of splashing is reduced.

As above, don't use glass around the pool; you don't want to deal with broken glass on the bottom or the deck. Most plastic measuring cups will work for Muriatic Acid. However, many of us don't measure it out; I pour it straight from the jug, with the spout just inches above the water (the bottom of the jug can be in the water). That minimizes how much acid is exposed to the air, and eliminates steps with extra spill opportunities.

The main danger of MA is splashing into your eyes, or exposing your eyes or breathing the fumes for a length of time. Goggles aren't a bad idea to protect against splashes, but I wouldn't suggest a respirator -- someone here had a good respirator on, and thus didn't smell the fumes for an extended time, and ended up with some eye injury/burning for a few days. Being able to smell the fumes lets you know to shift/move away/close it up; a brief whiff doesn't hurt.

Getting it on your skin briefly isn't a big deal, so don't panic if that happens (I don't wear gloves). Take your time, close up the jug, and rinse off your skin -- conveniently you have thousands of gallons of water to do that.

The key is that you don't really have to measure that precisely. For example, in my pool I always put in a quart at a time -- I wait until the pH is around 7.9-8.0 and then a quart brings it down to 7.4-7.5. I end up doing that roughly once a week in the peak of summer; less often other times of year.

A few years ago I took a 1x2 stick and an empty jug, and measured 32oz increments of water into the jug, marking the stick at the height of each quart. I keep a sharpie in the bin with the MA, and now when I start a new jug, I put the stick next to it and mark off the quarts on the jug. That makes it easy to roughly measure it out. You might mark ~16oz heights for your smaller pool.
Thank you for the suggestion of using a sharpie to mark oz's on the jug, what a great idea. I never even considered pouring it directly from the jug into the pool, makes sense and I'm so glad I asked (and got great suggestions). Much appreciated.

How often May I ask do you need to add acid to lower your pH?
This is the first time we've added it (first season with the pool). My TA has been hovering around 140-150 so I'm getting PH drift. I just got done doing a successful SLAM process so am trying to keep PH, CYA and FC all in line. My life goal is to never have to repeat the SLAM process.

I have always liked the advice of "handle the least amount of possible" when it comes to MA. Dispensing the liquid into something else, then into the pool requires pouring twice, so if you can avoid that, the better. Other advice I liked, when you are going to add the MA, do it so the wind is blowing away from you, so the fumes blow away, and not at you. Keep the jug low to the water, pour in what you need, and close it all up. As @jmastron said, if you get any splashed on your skin, you have thousands of gallons of water right next to you for a quick rinse. Safety glasses or goggles are a good thing as well.

I also read here about a few people who took empty jugs and filled them with just pool water. They would pour the jugs into something else (not the pool) and measure their "practice" additions. For example, a slow pour for 2 seconds would be about 8 ounces. They kept "practicing" pouring the water out of the jug to get a good idea of how much each few seconds of pouring would equal, and then measure the results. When it came time to make a MA addition to the pool, they got very confident in how much they poured in, without actually measuring it, and without handling it twice.
Thank you, more tools to add to my currently limited "pool toolbelt"

What is the best method for adding Muriatic Acid to the pool? After reading all the warnings on the label and adding it today, I'm wary of doing it again. We used a glass measuring cup and added it in front of a return line. When the liquid hit the pool water, there was a few seconds of "steam" or gas coming off the pool water. The label specifically says not to breathe in the fumes but how do you avoid it? Did we do something wrong in the process? I don't want to be afraid to take care of my pool but I'm kinda spooked by the chemicals. Tips and suggestions most welcome.
I'm in the process of getting an AG pool with a SWG and will have to use muriatic acid vs PH down like I did with my old pool. I agree I'm a little anxious about using it as well!

Great advice given here (y) and I'm taking their advice in. I used to use Trichlor tabs and I would take deep breaths, hold my breath when I opened the container and walk away for a few seconds, I got a ling full once not realizing it was so potent. I think as you (and I) become familiar with using it the scariness will wear off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is fantastic advice! I shall remember this next time I start a new jug.

Another good idea. I use a plastic measuring cup a slowly pour close to the water while wearing gloves, face mask and safety googles. I may try this approach and/or the measuring trick. Great info.

I'm in the process of getting an AG pool with a SWG and will have to use muriatic acid vs PH down like I did with my old pool. I agree I'm a little anxious about using it as well!

Great advice given here (y) and I'm taking their advice in. I used to use Trichlor tabs and I would take deep breaths, hold my breath when I opened the container and walk away for a few seconds, I got a ling full once not realizing it was so potent. I think as you (and I) become familiar with using it the scariness will wear off.
Agreed. Glad we have this resource for help 👍

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
Why? You're getting half the product for the same price.
Hi. Yes the price difference has stopped me from trying the 7% but I started on the 14.5 with no issues. I did use the 31% with no issues previous but one time the smell really hit me (wasn't windy maybe just a fresher bottle?) and I had to stop. Of course the 31% has been in stock at my store each time I've gone.

Edit: I've never noticed gas or steam. But I too initially used a glass measuring jug etc... and with the pump turned off and I didn't try to pour in the deeper end. Since then I've learned and it does get easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niemeyer
I've breathed in more MA fumes than I'd like to admit. I've had it splash onto my skin etc. It's not a toy that's for sure but it really shouldn't be something that you are terrified of. Just use caution and avoid contact....you know, the exact opposite of me, and you'll be fine. Then again I deal with hexane daily so maybe I'm a little desensitized to harmful gases and their dangers.

Reactions: Niemeyer
I've been unfortunate enough a couple times to inhale it. I've learned to now take a couple deep breaths like I'm going to dive and then hold my breath. Use one of the tricks mentioned above or just hit the dollar store and get a medium plastic measuring cup. Getting it on your skin isn't a big thing you just want to rinse it off and not let it sit there for a length of time. It's good to be cautious but don't let it scare you.

Reactions: mgtfp and Niemeyer
I used to be afraid of it as well. Now I just measure it out in a plastic measuring cup and try to keep myself down wind of it, try not to breath it, hold my breath when I have too. Really the main safety equipment you need are chemical splash goggles to prevent it from getting in your eyes. Don’t rely on glasses or just regular safety glasses. They are less then $5.00

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.