Muriatic Acid Cost Spike

arjaygee

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2011
Orange, California
It's no surprise to me that the cost of chlorine and acid have gone up in the past few years, given the chlorine shortage and general inflation. However, I was stunned today to find Muriatic Acid at $17 a 2 gal case at Home Depot - up $7 (70% !!) from a few years ago. I've got one of those pools that consumes close to a gallon a week, so yikes!

Any recommendations or alternatives for keeping my PH in the sweet spot and keeping a few bucks in my wallet?

Yep, I just bought 2x2 of them today too from Home Depot. $16.98 for two gallons, pfft.

What is your TA? How much does your ph rise and how quickly?
TA is 70
PH right now is 7.4
I average about 1 Qt acid every 3 days. at 7.4, PH typically rises 2 points in 3-4 days. Seems like steady state is around 7.6-7.8, where I can go longer before having to add acid but with a SWG, I know it's best to keep it lower than that. Plus TA will eventually start to rise if i let it sit at 7.6-7.8.

I have a hard time even finding it here. Looks like Lowes and Home Depot have it for 20 for the 2. Gallon, but I the local stores are out of stock and I’d have to drive pretty far. The pool stores prices are even worse cuz you know it’s a “specialty item”.

Our local Menards stores (IL) has 1 gallon 31.45% MA for $6.50 or so after rebate. Pretty awesome deal. Just bought 6 of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I lived in South OC till December 2019. So my personal anecdote is old, back then I found the refillable jugs of MA sold at the mom & pop pool stores had a better price than the big box stores. I lived south of the 5 fwy, 405 fwy “Y”.

Here in Las Vegas, it’s nothing but Leslie’s everywhere and their price is as bad as what you are all posting. One other thing in Las Vegas is that only Leslie’s or pool stores can sell 31.45% MA. Big box stores are only 14.5%.

I will let the chemistry experts say for sure, but it's been posted here many times that "anything in the 7's" is okay for pH. I took that to heart and run my pool in the 7.4 to 7.9 range with TA 60. It's 5 to ~60 days depending on water temp to rise through that range.

This was after months going crazy trying to keep it exactly at 7.4. Way too much work and acid. Sounds like that's where you are, too?

As you say it starts out rising fast and slows down a lot at the high end. When it hits 8.0, 3 pints 31% MA in 20k gallons takes it back to the low end. No problems at all with this plan for 3 years now, though ymmv. Our water is soft. Higher pH can cause scaling problems with high CH according to general wisdom. I actually need to raise CH to 400-425, which makes CSI just a bit below zero.

Last edited:
I lived in South OC till December 2019. So my personal anecdote is old, back then I found the refillable jugs of MA sold at the mom & pop pool stores had a better price than the big box stores. I lived south of the 5 fwy, 405 fwy “Y”.

Here in Las Vegas, it’s nothing but Leslie’s everywhere and their price is as bad as what you are all posting. One other thing in Las Vegas is that only Leslie’s or pool stores can sell 31.45% MA. Big box stores are only 14.5%.
Are you suggesting there's a law in Nevada limiting the concentration that certain stores may sell?

We make occasional runs to Bullhead City to buy our acid at Home Depot. The 14.5% option is typically ~$17 for a two pack. The 31% version is $19.

Reactions: mknauss
Are you suggesting there's a law in Nevada limiting the concentration that certain stores may sell?
I am not suggesting that at all. I asked an employee at Leslie’s and that was his response, they’re licensed to sell the higher percentage. My personal observation from buying MA around the northwest part of the Las Vegas valley is that big box stores only have 14.5%

Reactions: Jetjohn6
I am not suggesting that at all. I asked an employee at Leslie’s and that was his response, they’re licensed to sell the higher percentage. My personal observation from buying MA around the northwest part of the Las Vegas valley is that big box stores only have 14.5%
Thanks for the clarification. I too have only seen 14.5% in the big box stores.

I asked an employee at Leslie’s and that was his response
Yeah. I'm sure he's spot on with everything else too. :laughblue:
My personal observation from buying MA around the northwest part of the Las Vegas valley is that big box stores only have 14.5%
Mine too. But it appears to me it was the manufacturers doing. They hid the strength on the MSDS as a 'trade secret' of 10-31% (? Forget exactly but it was vague the last I checked). I rarely see it in the pool section and the only place they have any is the paint section, which is the eco/green/low fume weak stuff.

I rarely see it in the pool section
At least here, I have only looked in the big box stores pool section. If you want to call it that. That means it is all in a corner of the outside garden section. It is in the covered part of the outdoor area. Although shaded and couldn’t get wet if it rains (what’s that), everything there are in the smoking hot elements with the summers here. I haven’t even looked for MA in the paint aisle.

Reactions: Newdude
Just adding info in case it’s helpful to anyone. Both HD and Lowes offer a 10% discount for Veterans (and active duty.) Bring your DD 214 to the store and sign up for the discount once and get it forever. There are some products that aren’t eligible (e.g., large appliances). If someone is using a gallon of MA a week, that could be useful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.