Muriatic acid addition

TexasBR

Silver Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
Houston, TX
G'day. I may be asking a question that may have been answered before, but I just couldn't find it with my limited searching skills.

I buy muriatic acid from Home Depot, and this stuff comes in one-gallon jugs. I am looking for a replacement to the lid of these jugs that can help me add the acid at a slow rate so the acid disperses quickly and does not have much opportunity to accumulate at the bottom of the pool. A replacement lid with a small opening or better yet, a spout with a small diameter, ought to work, but it needs to have the matching threads.
Any suggestions/pointers?

Mega Thanks!

No, please don't change the cap. Muriatic Acid comes with a particular vented cap. Sometimes in the heat you may see MA jugs swell, but its ok.

We just place a pool brush on the pole in the pool where we're adding acid in front of a return. We slowly pour it in, in front of the moving water and then when done immediately brush the pool floor and walls around there. No more than a min worth of brushing.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Mdragger88 and kul
Thank you Maddie. I figured out a solution - not the most elegant, but minimally sufficient. I took a lid from an older jug, and drilled a hole in it. When I need to pour MA I temporarily replace the lid with this perforated lid.
Happy Summer

Last edited:
It is in the 10 ounce range, so the potential for collecting at the bottom and damaging the pool is not high.
I must admit that I am more driven by the nastiness of the MA fumes to seek better solutions.
Thanks

I don't like to squat or bend, especially downwind of fuming, and don't like the splatter from pouring on high, so I took a 3' section of 1" drain PVC, belled a small funnel shape on one end with heat gun, and put an 90 elbow and red ribbon on the other. I lower in front for a return on deep end till I see the ribbon is in the stream and slow pour down tube. I make sure it's leaning away just in case. I never apply from the jug. Pour a measured dose and dose. Close jug and put away.

Hello Neighbor, I am intrigued by your device. Are you able to post a picture of it?
Best Wishes
"Device" would be giving it too much credit, pipe more like it, but I pour very slow and don't want to bow to the pool or stoop and it really helps. This one from my pool bucket is 3/4", but hitting the hole is easy. Acid is clingy, so needs a good rinse in pool water before removing.

0619220759.jpg

It's just a flag to flutter to let me know when it is in the return stream. After that, I just watch the acid cloud dissipation into the stream. Acid is thick and heavy in water, and I just like mine mixed into the pool water as much as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.