Multiport valve won't budge from filter housing!! RESOLVED!

Aug 30, 2011
Tacoma, WA
Ok, edited to my current situation. Trying to change out the sand and replace my PacFlo multiport valve. Inlet and outlet pipes are cut, filter not connected to anything.

I cannot for the life of me get this valve to budge from the filter housing. Started gentle, now I'm to the point of putting metal pipe in the outlet of the MPV and hammering away full strength. It is just not budging. It is a V-thread setup, probably siliconed in. I even made a tool of sorts, a big piece of wood that I cut to fit the contours of the valve so I could try and twist it off that way. No luck.

The replacement valve is not reverse thread so I don't think this one is either.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find a similar situation either. Closest I cold find was a youtube video where a guy had a similar valve and he drilled the 6 holes into a piece of wood and used that as his tool. That's what gave me the idea for my tool.

Here's some pics of my current setup, the tool I made just for kicks, and the replacement valve. Really appreciate any help!

Attachments

• filter-mpv.jpg
    filter-mpv.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
  • junction.jpg
    junction.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 26
  • new-mpv.jpg
    new-mpv.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 26
  • tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 24
You may very well be correct.....some yahoo siliconed it.

I would use a 2 lb sledge or a 4lb rubber mallet and consider making your nicely designed "tool" even longer

Pretty sure it's silicone I feel around the junction. Bet that's what they did. I'll give the sledge a try, the problem is whenever I get some good its on it, whether it's the tool or the metal pipe I was using, is that the filter housing turns instead of the MPV. If I could somehow find a way to keep that from turning I think my chances of success would improve.

Just went out there with a 3+ foot breaker bar. Put it in the outlet of the MPV and gave it some strong, snappy tugs. No dice, just rotates the whole thing. I am putting some serious force and leverage on this. I'm starting to wonder if these will separate?

If that thing is glued in with silicon caulk, the only way it's coming out is with hammer, chisel, and drill. I know a guy who installs shower doors who once mentioned that the caulk he uses holds 280 pounds per linear inch. You are never going to untwist that thing.

I envision a series of holes then play connect the dots with a narrow chisel and lift out the center, hopefully without any damage to the standpipe. Then a few cuts from inside out just until you meet threads. And then a chisel blow to knock that small piece in. Again and again. Then another couple hours with a sharp pick and a wire brush cleaning out the threads.

If that thing is glued in with silicon caulk, the only way it's coming out is with hammer, chisel, and drill. I know a guy who installs shower doors who once mentioned that the caulk he uses holds 280 pounds per linear inch. You are never going to untwist that thing.

I envision a series of holes then play connect the dots with a narrow chisel and lift out the center, hopefully without any damage to the standpipe. Then a few cuts from inside out just until you meet threads. And then a chisel blow to knock that small piece in. Again and again. Then another couple hours with a sharp pick and a wire brush cleaning out the threads.

Richard I am starting to think the same thing. Not good. Might be time to start thinking about a filter purchase. I don't want to but this is an older unit and that is a lot of work to get this one out and hope I don't damage anything important in the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What was wrong with your multi-port?

Probably just the spider gasket. I swapped it out last year but was getting air in the system and water was coming up through the valve into the grooves on the top of the valve. I know I could just change the spider gasket again and/or rebuild parts of the valve but I found a decent deal on a new one. I have been in this house coming up on 9 years and had never changed the sand. (I had no idea it was suppose to be done every 5-7). I have no idea when the PO last changed it.

I think that you can do it.

If the multiport is stuck on the standpipe, the standpipe or the laterals are likely to break when the multiport breaks loose.

The filter should be heavy enough that it should not be spinning. Since it is spinning, I would suspect that the sand is probably too low.

I think that you can do it.

If the multiport is stuck on the standpipe, the standpipe or the laterals are likely to break when the multiport breaks loose.

The filter should be heavy enough that it should not be spinning. Since it is spinning, I would suspect that the sand is probably too low.

OK I have read your reply multiple times. I have pulled sand out of the pool while vacuuming so I do suspect the sand is low. But do you know/suggest a way to get these separated?

Off the subject, but unless sand is hopelessly contaminated, you NEVER need to change it.......the backwash should keep it clean.

That said, you won't know the sand's condition until that multi-port comes off.

An electric heat gun may help but I am skeptical.

Off the subject, but unless sand is hopelessly contaminated, you NEVER need to change it.......the backwash should keep it clean.

That said, you won't know the sand's condition until that multi-port comes off.

An electric heat gun may help but I am skeptical.

Now that you say that, I think I had read that bit years ago on this site. I had just got wrapped up on what I had seen elsewhere. Shoot.

I had thought about the heat gun as well. But I wasn't sure either. I guess if I'm looking at replacing the filter anyways it might be worth a shot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.