Multiport Leak - gasket need replacement?

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Hey all!

Pool opened up with minimal fanfare :) There is a leak at the multiport, which aside from losing water/chemicals, I believe is letting air into the system causing the pump to deprime after it stops running. Is this a simple case of having to replace a gasket or something else?

1.jpg

Hey all!

Pool opened up with minimal fanfare :) There is a leak at the multiport, which aside from losing water/chemicals, I believe is letting air into the system causing the pump to deprime after it stops running. Is this a simple case of having to replace a gasket or something else?

View attachment 491623
The diverter seal also seals the body on those valves. Part number 272409.

The diagram only indicates one gasket, part 10. There is an O ring on the stem, part 8 that you can try to replace, but the leak seems to be at the separation of the top and bottom unless it is running down from the handle. Be very careful disassembling the top. That spring is very strong and it has to be re-assembled exactly as in the diagram. All of the parts are listed on the 6th page of the attached PDF.
media_51509b95-2a09-48c4-9ded-16aaea4c4ccf.jpg

Attachments

• sec23_RP_Valves.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
The diagram only indicates one gasket, part 10. There is an O ring on the stem, part 8 that you can try to replace, but the leak seems to be at the separation of the top and bottom unless it is running down from the handle. Be very careful disassembling the top. That spring is very strong and it has to be re-assembled exactly as in the diagram. All of the parts are listed on the 6th page of the attached PDF.

Ok great. I misread what you typed earlier to be two seals, I understand what you're saying now.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1poolman1

Thanks, this was helpful. Looks like the handle O-ring (Part JV18) is leaking substantially now so I have to replace that.

Reactions: Texas Splash
It looks like only the stem oring is contributing to the leak rather than the spider gasket as i originally thought. Is it worthwhile to do both since I'm opening it up or leave well enough alone and just do the stem?
You might find it easier to replace the valve top assembly, #272422. Here is one place that has them:

If it was me and I was just replacing parts, I would replace any part that I disturbed so I don't have to go in a second time.

You might find it easier to replace the valve top assembly, #272422. Here is one place that has them:

If it was me and I was just replacing parts, I would replace any part that I disturbed so I don't have to go in a second time.

The stem oring is that difficult to replace? In comparsion to the cost differential that is ($7 vs $180)?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The stem oring is that difficult to replace? In comparsion to the cost differential that is ($7 vs $180)?
Its the disassembling and reassembly that is a bit difficult. There is (or was) a tool that could be used to compress the spring so that the handle could be re-attached. The spring has to be able to keep the diverter completely sealed against the gasket and you'd be surprised at how much pressure the pump exerts against it. The spring is very strong.

stslimited84
I built a rig to compress the Spring in the Top Assembly for most models' Multiport Valves. The info is in this thread :

It works ok but is time-consuming and the Wing Nuts are a little tough on the fingers to tighten to compress the Spring but I wanted that tool that I'm guessing was mentioned earlier in this thread. The tool is expensive with a large price range online. I bought it (of all places) on a "Medical Equipment" site. I have no idea why the item is located on a Med site but it was the lowest price I could find online. Here's the site link to the item :

The Bubba II Multi-Valve Compression Tool
Part # F-VRJ
$229.25 USD

That site doesn't have an image of the tool posted. Included in this post is the pic.

I haven't used it yet on my installed MPV but when I received it I tried it out on my spare Top Assembly. It works as advertised, very easy to compress with the Handle.

Attachments

• MPV Tool.JPG
    MPV Tool.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Wow
Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.