Aug 30, 2017
Victoria, BC Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I have an AGP that I currently use with two pump/filters in a fairly basic layout.
  • The larger of my two pumps pulls from a Hayward through-wall skimmer and dumps directly back into the stock return
  • The medium sized pump pulls from the 1.25" "B" outlets that merge together (like a lot of AGP's) into a 1.5" tee connection. That runs to my BBQ heater and then just dumps via a 1.25" pvc pipe directly back into the pool, over the side
Diagrams are side view.
msedge_jQMZmf2w0a.png

The above setup works fine, but there are times where I really want to pull from the "OUT" ports into the larger pump that has a bigger/better filter and just run it that way for a while. Currently to achieve that I have to disconnect the skimmer from the large filter and disconnect the OUT pipes from the medium pump and then run the OUT pipes into the larger pump, leaving the skimmer hose kinda awkwardly draped over the skimmer. If it fell, the pool would start to siphon, so not ideal.

What I'd like to do is have a valve setup that would allow me to choose where the large pump pulls from and also allow my current setup to continue. So I'd be able to run the large pump/skimmer and heater at the same time OR I could turn off the heater and just run the large pump from the OUT ports to the main return so I could clean more of the water that's down deeper instead of pulling from the skimmer.

Sort of like this:
msedge_aCvUobRUmZ.png

If my thinking is correct, I need 2x 3 way valves that would allow me to A) send the OUT water either to the Medium pump or to a second valve and B) the second valve would allow me to choose between pulling from the first valve or the skimmer and send either one back to the return.

I think I'd use a couple of something like this? If the three visible outlets on that valve were labeled A (left side), B (center), C (right side) do they work like A-->B or C-->B pulling from either of the two "side" inputs and always pushing out the center one? If so that makes sense to me but I admit I don't know how these 3 way valves work.
msedge_IVHxPExPs0.png
Then I guess I'd need 6x this
1692142019343.png
And 6x this
1692142080192.png
With some 1'5" PVC between the valve and the slip fit with female NPT adapters that would then screw into the intex adapters, allowing me to connect all my 1.5" intex stuff.

Sanity check very much appreciated!

On a 3 way diverter valve any port can be IN and the other two ports OUT.

You position the diverter over the port you want closed and the water flows between the other two ports.

Reactions: Oakstone
On a 3 way diverter valve any port can be IN and the other two ports OUT.

You position the diverter over the port you want closed and the water flows between the other two ports.
Gotcha ok, so that seems like my proposed design would probably work then. I'd just have to be careful to follow the path correctly when setting it up.

Anything stand out to you as dumb from the way I have it laid out?

Anything stand out to you as dumb from the way I have it laid out?

Only that the valves will be error prone and easy to set incorrectly.

You do not want to have two pumps trying to pull water from the same suction source.

You can deadhead a pump with a misset valve and have it run dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.