Sandylea

Jul 25, 2021
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking for some advice on mud in my pool. We had VERY heavy rain in a short period of time on Saturday night (north Texas). The pool overflowed and it is now filled with silt/mud from the greenspace behind us (it flowed over a 10 foot wall)into our yard/pool. I have been running the pump (Jandy cartridge filter) on high speed continuously (except last night I forgot… oops), cleaned the filter, ran the vacuum (Dolphin) countess times, and brushed twice daily. I have been dumping liquid chlorine in and have kept my chlorine level around 8. Just tested and I don’t have any combined chlorine. 9FDF9B61-D3A0-4C53-8706-3D365B83F6F2.jpeg Has anyone had this amount of mud and been able to clear it successfully (without draining?) It doesn’t seem to be improving at all. Should I add a clarifier? Thanks for any advice you may have to offer! 😭

Attachments

• 487CD29B-DEE3-41E8-919C-7C173F1638AF.jpeg
    487CD29B-DEE3-41E8-919C-7C173F1638AF.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 6
Keep running the dolphin and filtering. Do you have a vacuum, and can you vacuum to waste? This is your quickest option.

Cartridge filters are probably the most difficult to clean up a big mess but it will work. Plan on cleaning your filters A LOT. Maybe every 30 minutes at first but it will get longer in between cycles as the mud is picked up.

Turn your pump off and let the mud settle overnight. The next day, manually vacuum the mud into your filter. Watch your psi and when it goes up by 25%, stop and reclean the cartridges. Do it again and again.
This is the fastest way to get mud out of your pool. You may be able to get only one floor cleaning because your vacuum will stir it up. If so, then just run the filter to filter out what you can. Watch the psi and let that determine when to clean the cartridges. You can do this although it's a hassle..... we'll help as much as possible

It doesn’t seem to be improving at all. Should I add a clarifier?
First thing to do is to understand your algae situation. I know you said your FC is 8, but I would do this test and report results. Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

AFTER the filters stop getting plugged relatively quickly, then it is time for the clarifier. But use a quality one, Chitosan based... SeaKlear or Orenda. Do not use a flocculant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnmarkpainter