NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Fairly certain I need to replace motor. Right before closing last year it continued to turn off after running for 20-40 minutes. Never got hot to touch but seemed to always trip somehow. I had a provider out to look at it but no resolution. Anyways, currently I have Century USQ1152 but believe I could replace with something more efficient. Any recommendations on how to identify which one and would this be something we can replace or best to have someone service? Thank you!

Link to current motor: Century (A.O. Smith) 1.5 HP Up Rate Motor, Square Flange 48Y Frame, Single Speed - Model USQ1152 - INYOPools.com

There is really no such thing as an efficient single speed motor. While some are better than others, it is a very small difference.

To get real energy savings, you have to run the pump at lower RPM/GPM and to do that you really need a VS motor like this one:

Do you have an equipment controller?

If so, you may want thins instead:

On low RPM, the difference in efficiency does not amount to much. For example, the SuperFlo VS (1.5HP) uses about 231 watts at 35 GPM and the Intelliflo 3 (3HP) uses about 223 watts at the same flow rate so you save about 8 watts or a little less than 4%.

However, at higher flow rates, there is a larger difference. At double that flow rate, the SuperFlo uses 1060 Watts and the Intelliflo 3 uses 952 watts or a delta of 108 watts or about 10%.